Degrees and Certifications:
Welcome to 6th Grade Earth Science and 6th Grade Enlish/Language Arts! We have a fun year ahead!
Update: If your student is not able to come to school, please have them go to TEAMs and see the class calendar/agenda for an overview of the work we are doing for the week. Each day I will send a message in the "general" channel about our assignment for the day. Thank you
Star Middle School is a wonderful school and I look forward to working with your amazing students over the course of the year. I know this year will have a lot of twists and turns but I am confident we can navigate them together. It is going to be a great year!
This is my 29th year teaching, 17th year in Westada School District, and first year at Star Middle School. I have taught 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th grades, but 6th grade and 6th graders are my favorite! I've lived in Boise for 22 years with my husband and three children, all of whom went through Westada Schools. My educational background starts with a B.S. in Elementary Education, and includes a Intergrated Science Endorsement, M.A. in Education and Reading and a ED.Specialist degree. I also am constantly learning as I explore out great state and lots of mountains, volcanos and ocean beaches.
Please feel free to email me with any questions or concerns that you might have. I believe that a successful year involves a team. The student, parents and teacher.
Topics of Study
- Foundations for Middle School
- E.A.D.; responding to written text
- Grammar Camp (throughout the school year)
- Allies: Why is it important to have Allies?
- Reading: Narrative and Informational texts
- Writing: Explanatory
- Informative Presentation
- Technology: How is modern technology helpful and harmful to society>
- Reading: Argumentative/ persuasive texts
- Writing: Argument Essay
- Research: Gathering evidence, making a claim, supporting a claim
- Imagination: Where can imagination lead?
- Reading: Narrative Fiction
- Writing: Short story
- Childhood: What are some of the challenges and triumphs of growing up?
- Reading: Nonfiction Narrative
- Writings: Personal Narrative
- ISAT preparation and test
- Book projects: each quarter students will be responsible for reading a book of their choice
- Students will be assigned a book project to be completed by the end of the quarter on their book.
6th grade Earth Science.
Access to Online Science Book Instructions:
www.westada.org - parent/student tab - Educational Apps - Easy Bridge
Student login: same a log ons and passwords used on school computers
Units of study:
Unit 1: Earth's Changing Surface
Unit 2: Earth's History
Unit 3: Natural Resources & Human Impact
Unit 4 : Weather
Unit 5: Climate
Unit 6: Space Systems
Grading will be weighted as follows:
Not all grades are equal
Assessments = 70% of grade (quizzes, tests & performance tasks) Classwork = 30% of grade (bell-work, in class practice and homework)
All assignments and assessments may be retaken for a better grade with evidence of additional studying.