Schools are successful when they help children grow academically, socially and emotionally. For this to happen, it is imperative that we have a safe environment that is supportive and conducive for growth. By setting forth clear social and behavioral expectations and directly teaching students about those expectations, we will achieve our goal of creating a positive atmosphere of optimal learning. To accomplish these goals, we are implementing PBIS.
What is PBIS? It stands for Positive Behavior Interventions and Support. Put simply, a way to promote positive behavior and interactions in our school community.
How does PBIS Work? The PBIS System has 4 components:
- Defining specific targeted behaviors
- Creating a matrix of behavioral expectations to reinforce those behaviors
- Teaching lesson plans that explicitly outline the behavioral expectations
- Providing acknowledgment to celebrate positive behavior
What is being implemented? Summerwind STEM Academy has decided on three school-wide behavioral expectations also known as the Summerwind CODE.
- Be Respectful
- Be Responsible
- Be Ready
How will this be acknowledged? Another component of the PBIS system is the use of consistent positive rewards to celebrate staff and students’ success. Some of the current acknowledgments are:
- School Store (PTO supports the store and students use their Powerbucks for purchase items)
- Quarterly Schoolwide Fun Friday Celebrations
- Monthly Silver Snoopy Award given to one student in each class who will be recognized by the principal
- Classroom Acknowledgement systems that include Powerbucks
- Schoolwide opportunity to place and Powerbuck on the Crack the CODE Board
At Summerwind STEM Academy, we are committed to teaching our students good citizenship. We are successful with this mission when our parents lead the way. We are counting on your support and look forward to partnering with you this year.