Extended School Year (ESY)
According to the Idaho Special Education Manual (2015):
The term “extended school year services” (ESY) means special education and/or related services that are provided beyond the regular school year:
1) to a student with a disability;
2) in accordance with the student’s IEP; and
3) at no cost to the parent/adult student.
The goal of ESY services is to assist students with disabilities with the emergence and maintenance of specific IEP goals addressed during the school year preceding the ESY. These may include goals related to independence, behavior, socialization, communication, and academics. The ESY services for special education students provide a different focus from general summer school program” (p. 93).
Eligibility for ESY
One of the three following criteria must be met in order to be eligible for ESY. Decisions regarding eligibility for ESY is determined from data collection and written documentation.
1) Emerging skill: Few, if any, gains are made during the regular school year. A skill is in the process of emerging, and the IEP team believes that with ESY services the student would make reasonable gains; or
2) Regression-Recoupment: The student would regress to such an extent and the amount of time required to relearn a skill or behavior becomes so significant that the student would be unable to benefit from his or her special education; or
3) Self-Sufficiency: An interruption in services would threaten the acquisition of critical life skills that aid in the student’s ability to function as independently as possible, thereby continuing the student’s reliance on caretakers, including institutionalized care. Critical life skills relate to those skills that lead to independent functioning. Development of these skills can lead to reduced dependency on future caretakers and enhance the student’s integration with individuals without disabilities. Skills may include such things as toileting, feeding, mobility, communication, dressing, self-help, and social/emotional functioning (p. 93-94).
ESY for Summer 2019
Students will participate for 4 weeks
Up to 4 days/week Elementary, Middle, High (M–TH)
Up to 3 days/week Preschool (M-W) as determined by IEP team
The following are the dates for ESY 2019:
June 24th - June 27th (1 week)
July 8th - July 25th (3 weeks)
Preschool/Elementary (Meridian Elementary) 9:00 – 11:30
Middle School/High School (MMS) 8:15 – 10:45
Karel Olsen - Administrator (208.350.5128)
Calie Robinson - Secretary (208.350.5122)