Beginning of the Year Information:
It is hard to believe that the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year is approaching! Here is some information you might find helpful as you get your first grader ready.
1. The first day of school is Monday, August 26. The first bell rings at 9:05 a.m. We do have an early release that day at 1:25 p.m.
2. Our Meet and Greet is Friday, August 23 from 9-11 a.m. This is the chance for your child to meet me and become familiar with our classroom. They will be able to find their desk, cubby, sort school supplies, etc. If you bring your school supplies with you, I do not require they have their name on a lot of things. The items that DO need to be labeled are markers (in a box, please), colored pencils (also in a box, please), scissors, watercolor paints, folders, composition notebooks, glue bottles, and any extra crayon boxes you send in. Pencils, erasers, and glue sticks DO NOT need to be labeled. I store all the extra supplies in my cabinets and hand them out as needed.
3. The weather will likely be quite warm so please consider sending a water bottle with your first grader to school every day. They can keep the water bottle in their cubby. This will make it a lot easier for them to get drinks after recesses and will help keep them hydrated.
4. You can also send a healthy snack with them each day to eat during recess. I would suggest not sending cookies, candy, lollipops, etc. Your first grader will be more prepared for the hard work we will be doing if their brain is fueled with protein rather than sugar. Thanks for understanding.
5. I will need to know how your child will be getting home every day. If they will be riding a bus, I need to know their bus number so I can get them on the correct bus the first week of school. If they have older siblings at Galileo and will be meeting up with them to walk home or find their ride, please consider designating a meeting spot for all the kids.
6. Back to School Night will be Thursday, September 5, 5:00-6:30 PM. A schedule of when I will be presenting will be released when we get closer to that date.
I look forward to meeting you and your first grader very soon! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.