Scholarships-a financial aid tool, most sought after by parents and students. There are basically two types of scholarships...
- College specific scholarships are awarded by the college you are applying to and will be awarded based on academics, SAT/ACT scores, talents, etc. To find out what scholarships colleges have available, call the financial aid office of your school of choice or go to their website and click on "financial aid" or "scholarships."
- Outside sources are given to students for a wide variety of qualifications. Each outside scholarship has its own deadlines, its own qualifications and its own award amount—these must be researched.
Scholarships come in all shapes and sizes. Knowing and searching the types of scholarships that are out there will ensure that you find any and every scholarship for which you qualify.
MHS Scholarship List
Scholarship Search Tips
- Explore your options: Look into local scholarships and use a trusted internet service, like the ones listed below.
- Start Early & don't miss deadlines: To avoid missing deadlines, start your scholarship search early. It takes time to research, request information, and complete your applications, so don't procrastinate. In addition, make sure to search continuously throughout the school year. Many have early fall deadlines.
- Be Active: Scholarship committees look favorably on those who participate in extracurricular activities and are active in their communities.
- Stay Organized: Students should keep a checklist of submission requirements and due dates. Be sure to complete all of the necessary paper before submitting an application.
- Follow the Instructions: Watch your essay length and submit only materials that are requested. Proofread your applications to avoid any embarrassing spelling or grammar errors, and be sure your writing is legible.
- Dont't ignore scholarships just because they have smaller award amounts, it all adds up!
- Search every year. Many scholarships are available to grades other than seniors.
**In addition to the links below, students can log into their Naviance account https://succeed.naviance.com, and search for scholarships under the "Colleges" tab. This page is a work in progress but still has some valuable information.
Lastly, be aware of scholarship scams. This website does a great job discussing what to look out for: http://www.educationplanner.org/students/paying-for-school/ways-to-pay/scholarship-scams.shtml
Idaho College Scholarship Pages
Boise State University - https://financialaid.boisestate.edu/scholarships/
College of Idaho - https://www.collegeofidaho.edu/admission/financial-aid-scholarships
College of Southern Idaho - http://scholarships.csi.edu/
College of Western Idaho - http://cwidaho.cc/current-students/grants-scholarships
Idaho State University - http://www2.isu.edu/scholar/freshmen.shtml
Lewis-Clark State College - http://www.lcsc.edu/financialaid/scholarships-and-waivers/
North Idaho College - http://www.nic.edu/websites/default.aspx?dpt=29&pageId=4226
Northwest Nazarene University - https://financialaid.nnu.edu/first-time-student/scholarships
University of Idaho - https://www.uidaho.edu/financial-aid/scholarships