We are committed to providing students with good healthy meals to create healthy minds and bodies. All students are encouraged to eat school meals to gain the nourishment they need for high performance in the classroom and beyond.Click here for the West Ada School District Wellness Policy.
West Ada Wellness
The West Ada Board of Trustees recognizes that childhood wellness is essential for academic success. Research indicates that becoming physically active and maintaining an exercise program and access to nutritious foods reduces the risk of obesity and other associated diseases. As a school district, we are striving to offer a balance of healthy treats at our school celebrations.
Beginning in February 2018, West Ada School District invited parents, staff, school board members, food service employees, students and the public to participate in a committee that revised and updated the district wellness policy. A new policy was adopted by the school board in April 2018. The wellness policy will be reviewed and updated at a minimum every three years. Schools report to the assistant superintendent annually on the non-compliant fundraisers allowed.
All West Ada School District schools are designated Team Nutrition Schools through the USDA. The district will adhere to nutrition guidelines for school meals and meet the standards required in Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, including the Smart Snacks in Schools Guidelines.
- Classroom snacks served during the school day or in after-school care/enrichment programs will make a positive contribution to student diets and health, with an emphasis on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and/or low sugar items as the primary snacks and water/milk as the primary beverage.
- Staff will not use foods or beverages as rewards for individual academic performance or good behavior.
- Staff will limit whole class food rewards to two (2) per year.
- Schools will limit celebrations (birthdays, holidays, etc) that involve food/beverages during the school day to no more than one party per class per month.
- At least ½ the food and beverages brought in for monthly celebrations must meet the Smart Snacks in Schools guidelines.