7th & 8th Grade Combined Concert Band
Festival Professional Recordings
(Click on the title of the piece to listen to the recording)
2019-2020 Important Dates
- *Fall Concert: Tuesday, November 12th @ 7:00pm in the gym
- *Winter Band Concert: Tuesday, December 17th @ 7:00pm in the gym
- Holiday Assembly: Friday, December 20th during school hours in the gym
- Elementary School Tour: Friday, February 21st during school hours - traveling
- **District 3 Middle School Solo & Ensemble Festival: Saturday, February 29th @ East Valley MS in Nampa - Open to students interested in participating
- Festival Retreat: Friday, March 6th from 5:50pm-10:30pm in the Band Hall
- *Pre-Festival Concert: Wednesday, March 11th @ 7pm in the gym
- West Ada 8th Grade Band Festival: Wednesday, March 18th @ Meridian Middle School TIME TBD
- **West Ada Honor Band: Month of April - Select students only @ Meridian Middle School
- *Year-End Concert: Tuesday, May 19th
- 6:00pm: Potluck in the cafeteria
- 7:30pm: Concert in the gym
* - All events marked with an asterisk are our main concerts for our families held in the gym.
** - Events marked with two asterisks are for select students only. More information will be sent out the month leading up to the event.
ALL STUDENTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE AT EACH EVENT IN OUR SCHEDULE WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE TWO MARKED WITH TWO ASTERISKS. IF YOUR STUDENT HAS ANY KNOWN SCHEDULING CONFLICTS WITH THE SCHEDULE, PLEASE FILL OUT THE EXCUSED ABSENCE FORM AND SUBMIT TO MR. BARRO AT LEAST TWO WEEKS IN ADVANCE. THE SOONER, THE BETTER.
Schedule in PDF format - CLICK HERE TO VIEW AND PRINT
We are using the following book for the school year -- Sound Innovations Book 2. Percussion must get the "Mallet Percussion" book.
Sometimes the hardest part of practicing is taking the instrument home and taking it out of its case. I do not expect everybody to be professionals in my program, but I do expect each individual to work hard every day to become great. Here are some tips on how to practice:
- Take out your instrument and assemble it!
- Practice fundamentals: when we work on our fundamentals, music gets easier! Fundamentals can be summed up into three basic concepts – Time, Tone and Technique.
- Practice your band music: once you have practiced your fundamentals, you can apply those fundamentals to our band music.
- Listen to recordings of your instrument: In order to know what our instrument should sound like; we must listen to the professionals play their instrument. Listening to recordings can help a lot, as well as, going to live performances from local colleges and professionals!
- PRACTICE SLOWLY: I cannot emphasize enough the importance of practicing your music and your fundamentals slowly. If you can play it slow, you can play it fast!