Class Materials for Orchestra
Students are provided with, and required to bring to each class:
- Instrument and bow
- Instrument Accessories: Rosin, soft cleaning cloth, shouler rest (if needed, violins and violas), end pin stop (cellos and basses)
- School provided music and folder
Students not required, but are encouraged to bring:
- 3 ring binder clearly labeled with the student's name, to hold class papers and practice copies of music
Recommended for students who own/rent their own instruments:
- An extra set of strings for your student's instrument. Strings get old, or sometimes students over-tighten them when learning to tune their instruments. When this (occasionally) happens, it can be a hassle trying to get to the music store right away. Especially if the string breaks 10 minutes before a concert.
- Clearly labeling your student's instrument case. Instrument cases generally look alike, so an easy way to identify an instrument is with a luggage tag. This is important so students know whose instrument is whose, and a forgotten instrument can come back to you quickly. Remember, a luggage tag without a name on it is not helpful for identification.
- Unless you are a certified luthier (person who is trained to build and repair instruments) please do not attempt any repairs yourself. Always take the instrument to a professional or to the store where you rented/purchased it. If you are not sure, I will be happy to look at the instrument and let you know if it is something I can handle (like a broken string) or not (broken bridge, cracked wood, etc).
- Purchasing an instrument online: If you choose to rent or purchase an instrument for your student, whenever possible, use a local business. They are honest and rely on positive word of mouth and generally are delighted to help you in any way possible. Online companies do not have this motivation. Be wary of purchasing an instrument unseen, it may end up costing a great deal of money in repairs.
We have a class set of all books at Galileo. If families choose to purchase books for their students, make sure they the correct volume and the correct instrument. Also, please clearly label any privately purchased books with the student's name. Students who lose their books will be asked to purchase a replacement.
6th grade students use Strings Extraordinaire, Essential Elements Book 1, and String Town Tunes.
7th and 8th grade students may use any of the 6th grade books and, in addition, will use MORE Strings Extraordinaire, High Tech for Strings, and Essentials for Strings.