The first days of school are rapidly approaching. I look forward to meeting you and your first grader very soon! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Here are some things that will help make for smooth sailing on these first school days.
1. The first day of school is Monday, August 26th. It is an early release day, with the first bell ringing at 9:05 and dismissal at 1:25. The rest of the week, month, and school year, school will dismiss at 3:55. Students may be dropped off 15 minutes before school starts, as that's when the playground is supervised.
2. Meet and Greet is Friday, August 23rd, from 9:00 - 11:00. This is a time for your child to meet me and become familiar with our classroom. They will be able to find their desk, cubby, sort school supplies, etc. Only one school supply needs to be labeled and that is the watercolor paints. The rest do not need labeling. Please leave crayons, markers, and colored pencils in the box they came in. I will have detailed sorting instructions for all school supplies at meet and greet.
3. The weather will most likely be quite warm the first week or two of school. Please consider sending a water bottle with your first grader to school everyday. They can keep the water bottle in their cubby. This will make it a lot easier for them to get drinks after recesses, instead of having to stand in long drinking fountain lines, and will help keep them hydrated.
4. You may also send a healthy snack with them each day to eat during recess. Please do not send cookies, candy, lollipops, etc. Your first grader will be more prepared for the hard work we will be doing if their brain is fueled with protein rather than sugar. Recess is only 15 minutes long, so it's important the snack is just that, a snack. Something quick to eat so your first grader can have plenty of time for play. Thank you for understanding. Do to possible allergies, students are not allowed to share snacks with other students.
5. I will need to know how your child will be getting home every day. If they will be riding a bus, I need to know their bus number so I can get them on the correct bus the first week of school. If they have older siblings at Galileo and will be meeting up with them to walk home or find their ride, please have them meet at the flag pole or a location they decide on.
Please go the the Class Blog on my website and you will find an electronic form to fill out titled, How Will Your Child Get Home From School.
6. The Class Blog has two other electronic forms. One will provide me with your first grader's contact information (parent phone/email). The other is a fun quiz to see how well you may know me.
7. Back to School Night will be Thursday, September 5th, from 5:00 - 6:30. A schedule of when I will be presenting will be sent out when we get closer to that date.