The Discovery Elementary School Counselor will be offering student support groups throughout the school year. Student support groups provide a safe, supportive environment where students can share their feelings and learn important tools and strategies that support their social-emotional development.
Student support groups are available to all interested students. Groups will meet for 4-8 sessions and start at different times throughout the year. Group times will be carefully coordinated with teachers in order to avoid interfering with specials and core instruction time. However, sometimes unavoidable conflicts may arise.
Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, parents/guardians need to be informed and grant permission for students to participate in these groups. A description of these groups is listed below. In the event you would like your student to participate, please indicate your interest by completing and returning the permission form (linked below) to the counseling office.
Lastly, please be assured that your student will be notified when adequate sign ups have been received for your selected group. Although some students may choose to participate in more than one group, multiple groups are not guaranteed, as spots will first be given to those students who have not had an opportunity to participate. If there are not enough age appropriate signups for your selected group, you will be notified accordingly. For additional information, please feel free to contact me at (208) 855-4092.
The following support groups will be offered throughout the school year:
- Circle of Friends: A support group that focuses on building friendship, self- awareness and self-regulation through the practice of everyday social skills and using the Tools from TOOLBOX.
- Angry Birds: An emotion management support group designed to identify triggers that cause strong emotions and identify positive ways to manage these feelings.
- Changing Families: A support group designed to help kids adjust to major changes within the family unit such as divorce/separation. This group provides students with a safe place to discuss their family experience in a supportive environment and learn appropriate coping and communication skills to handle life changes.
- Good Grief!: A support group for students who are coping with the loss of a loved one. This group will focus on understanding the grieving process and will identify practical skills to work through the grief.
- Worry Busters: A support group for students who struggle with worry and anxiety. This group focuses on helping students recognize triggers and learn appropriate coping skills. Ideal for 3rd-5th grade students.