1. Your student must be 5 years old on or before September 1st. This is a state law and there are no exceptions.
2. Registration is a multi-step process.
a. Established that Chaparral is your school.
b. Register online. (March 1st) At westada.org, there is a link at the top of the page that says Register. Click it and it will take you to the preliminary forms you need to fill out.
c. Chaparral will contact you via email within 48 hours with PowerSchool instructions. Follow the directions in that email. We will ask you to bring, in person, your child’s birth certificate, proof of address and immunization records.
d. After we have received those documents and PowerSchool has been filled out we will make an appointment for April 19th.
3. Cougar Cubs is an informational meeting for you and your kindergartener to attend on March 2nd at 2:30PM
4. Tuition Kindergarten (All Day Kinder) is available, meeting with more details TBA.
5. AM or PM kindergarten? Due to busing, north of Cherry Lane (83646) is PM and south of Cherry Lane (83642) is AM.
*If we are able to accommodate and you provide your own transportation, you may be able to choose.
Which school should my child attend?
*Westada School District offers many choices. Chaparral is a modified calendar school. The modified calendar was put in place of the year-around calendar the district had previously. The curriculum and amount of days the child attends are the same as the district’s traditional calendar schools. Chaparral starts the school year 2 weeks sooner and ends 2 weeks later than traditional. We have 2 track breaks, one in November and one in March. The November break is 2 weeks plus the 1 week off that the entire district has for Thanksgiving, making it a total of 3 weeks. Same thing happens in March with Spring Break, the entire district gets 1 week off and modified schools get the 2 weeks off prior, totaling 3 weeks. All other breaks and days off are the same on both calendars.
Is there a lottery to get in?
No. Chaparral is not a school of choice, you just have to live within in our boundary. Our boundary is quite large, if you are wondering please call and we can verify. Busing is available outside of the walk zone.