HMS Remote Learning Plan Overview
Purposes of the Remote Learning Plan:
- Provide educational resources for all students.
- Lessen the educational impact of the pandemic outbreak on the students.
- Provide a system including schedules that allows students and staff members the opportunity and flexibility to work remotely.
- Be socially responsible to the community as a whole during a pandemic outbreak.
Beginning on April 13th, the Remote Learning plan will be initiated with students. The remote learning plan is comprised of two phases.
Phase 1- April 13th- April 24th: Review, Re-Do, and Re-Assess:
- Second-semester grades have been frozen as of March 13th.
- Students who would like to improve their current grade may turn in and/or re-assess any work that was assigned from January 21st-March 13th. Students may need to contact their teachers to determine how to redo or re-assess content. Any make-up work/reassessments that are submitted will only be used if the work positively impacts the student’s grade.
- Any schoolwork that was collected right before our school closure that had yet to be entered into PowerSchool may be excluded from the student’s overall grade (if the student’s grade is lowered by the score).
- Weekly Learning Resources will be online or available for pick up starting April 13th. During Phase 1, content will be focused on reviewing, practicing, and reinforcing what has been previously taught in class.
- Weekly learning resources will not be provided for all electives. Rather, students will be provided with a weekly Electives Choice Board where they can choose from a variety of activities to complete.
- Students who were enrolled in a 9-week 4th-Quarter class will not have a grade assigned to them. All learning tasks that will be provided will be completely optional.
- 4th Quarter grades will not be given, and students will remain enrolled in their 3rd Quarter classes in PowerSchool for the remainder of the school year. During both Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the Remote Learning plan, students have the opportunity to improve their current grade in their 3rd Quarter class by submitting missing work and retaking assessments. 6th-8th grade students will have access to an "Electives Choice Grid" each week that provides them with activities to select from in a variety of our electives courses. Weekly resources for the electives grid can be accessed digitally via their current 3rd Quarter teachers' class teams (Microsoft) or through hard copy packets provided at the school.
Phase 2- Beginning April 27th until End of Closure or School Year: Advanced Learning and New Content:
- Content in the four main subjects will be introduced that will enable students to continue their education and gain knowledge that will prepare them for the next year. The main subjects will include language arts, math, social studies, and science.
- Weekly learning resources will continue to be provided for other courses and electives; students may choose to engage in these as they choose.
- Weekly learning tasks are not required and will not be collected or graded. However, we strongly believe staying academically engaged is in our students’ best.
- If your student is enrolled in a high school level elective course, specific activities will be provided. High school credits for these classes may still be earned.
The following is a SUGGESTED Daily Student Schedule. This is being provided for families who would like to implement or establish a more structured schedule for their students as they proceed with Remote Learning. The only time that is specifically set is Office Hours, a dedicated time for teachers to respond to student and parent questions each day.
SUGGESTED DAILY STUDENT SCHEDULE
SOCIAL STUDIES (or HEALTH)
Accessing Weekly Learning Resources – Phase 1 and 2:
Digital Access: Weekly Learning Resources can be accessed digitally through teacher Microsoft Class Team sites and through grade level links on the HMS website in the Remote Learning channel. CLICK HERE to log into Microsoft Teams.
On-site/HMS: Weekly hardcopy packets will be available to any of those students who prefer or may not have access to technology. They will be available to pick up at HMS on Monday by 8:00 am through Tuesday evening at 5:00 pm at the front of the building. Instructions for pick-up will be provided on site, following CDC guidelines for safety.
Pick Up Sites: At this point, we will have one location for pick up: HMS. Additional locations may be added if needed. We will inform you of new sites if they are added.
Weekly learning packets will not be turned in.
Turning in missing/makeup work:
Students are strongly encouraged to turn in missing/late work to their teacher. This is any work assigned or
collected prior to March 16th. We would prefer any missing, makeup, or reassessment work be turned back in to teachers digitally. We recommend students take pictures of work or scan documents as PDFs in order to email to their teachers. If a teacher was previously using Teams to have students submit assignments, students may submit assignments via Microsoft Teams.
If digital submission is not possible, there will be a locked collection bin at HMS for students to drop off work. Students will be asked to place the work in a large envelope (provided), seal the envelope, and write the name of the teacher(s) on the outside of the envelope. Work will be collected at the end of each day; however, it will not be immediately given to the teachers. Safety procedures will be followed per CDC guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19. After 72 hours, the work will be scanned to teachers to grade.
Additional Learning Resources:
Click here to access other learning resources on the West Ada District website. These are additional resources families may choose to access for supplemental learning.
Communicating with Teachers – Email, Phone Request, Microsoft Teams:
The preferred mode of communication to teachers will be through e-mail. Using e-mail will allow students to ask individualized questions to specific teachers in a private manner. In addition to e-mail, during office hours students may also contact teachers through their individual teachers’ class Team with questions for a specific course; however, this mode will not be private as other students may see the questions. Conversation posting privileges will be removed for students who do not use this feature appropriately.
Teachers will do their best to respond to questions during their designated office hours during the school week: 1:00-2:30 pm. Students who do not have access to email or Microsoft Teams may call the main office line and a message will be relayed to the specific teacher with whom you are needing to connect. (208)-350-4130.
The preferred mode of communication to teachers will be through e-mail. Staff will not have access to their school phones. Parents may also call the main office, and a message will be relayed to the specific teacher with whom you are needing to connect.
The Wi-Fi signal has been boosted at every school site. This can be accessed from the parking lot at any WASD school. We ask that if accessing Wi-Fi, you stay in your car and follow all Center for Disease Control guidelines.
Access to the Building:
Access to the building will be prohibited; however, we will be opening the building on March 10th from 8:00 am until 2:00 pm for limited access only. This access will only be for those students in need of essential items necessary to continue learning/practicing (i.e.: band instruments). Students must be accompanied by a parent/guardian. This will not be a time for traditional locker clean-out or textbook return This will take place when deemed appropriate (more communication will be sent regarding this).
We will only allow six total students/parents into the building at a time to retrieve these items. Students/parents will be given strict guidelines to follow and will not have access to most areas within the building. If possible, a designated staff member will bring items out to the student.
Please note we are developing plans to address the following procedures:
- Uniform return
- Locker clean-out
- Textbook collection
- Yearbook distribution
- Pay-to-Participate refunds