21-22 DES Health and Safety Plan
1. Protect the health and safety of students and staff - physical, emotional, and mental
2. Consistent with local health authorities’ recommendations
3. Guaranteed and viable curriculum for all students and schools
4. Adaptability and flexibility with evolution of COVID-19
5. Emphasize a culture of personal accountability and high integrity
6. Encourage predictable patterns of behavior
7. Limit interactions & isolate groups as much as possible. The more proactive and self-contained plans are, the less impact a building will have when they have a positive case. When there is a positive case does the plan and effective implementation of the plan result in remote learning for an impacted classroom, grade, POD, school vs. multiple schools and/or entire District.
Administrator, Nurse and custodian walk-through:
- The administrator will complete a building walk-through weekly and meet with the head custodian and nurse as needed.
- The intent of the walk-through is to identify any troublesome areas and to remedy the concern in a timely manner.
- Frequent hand washing and/or hand sanitizing is of upmost importance in the spread of COVID. Therefore, WASD has ensured that we have enough inventory of soap.
- Wall mount hand sanitizer stations are in every classroom. Teachers will inform custodial staff when refills are needed.
- Daily disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces – Victory Sprayer with electrostatically charged spraying (BruTab 6S disinfectant tablet)
- Daily disinfecting – Victory Sprayer with BruTab 65 and SC Johnson TruShot Disinfectant
- Classroom Cleaning Kits will be provided for every classroom
- All classrooms will be arranged to maximize the spacing between student desks or maintain the use of student groups/Pods.
- All nonessential items will be removed once the administrator walk-through has happened. Examples of nonessential items are those that have no instructional, learning, or job-related purpose.
Library use, access and furniture:
- The use of the library will be allowed by a maximum of one class at a time.
- All physical distancing and guidelines are in effect during use.
- Access to the library will be on a limited basis.
Computer lab use and cleaning:
- Students will use the hand sanitizer immediately upon entering and exiting the classroom and will use the sanitizing wipes on their workstation as a regularly scheduled task when directed by the teacher.
- Physical distancing signage or markings that serve as reminders have been placed on the floors in the following areas:
- Main office lobby
- Library desk
- Nurse’s office
- Student arrival/dismissal will follow school-wide schedule
- Face masks are optional while on the playground/arrival/dismissal staging locations
- Students will keep personal belongings (backpacks, coats, lunch boxes) with them while on the playground/arrival/dismissal/staging locations
- A staggered dismissal plan will be communicated to parents. Parents will designate their students to be picked up in one of three groups: A: Bus/Daycare, B: Walkers & Wheels, C: Parent Pick Up
Office/Check In-Out Areas:
- Tardy/late students will enter through the main office doors and check-in using the typical processes
- Students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering the building, past the front office area.
- Masks will be recommended, but optional in the building.
- Accompanying parents/guardians will remain in the main office area.
- Student walkway/hallway transitions will ensure safe distancing between classes.
- Students will walk in line during transitions as a class and will have safe distancing between students
- Students will avoid congregating and/or stopping in walkways/hallways.
- Students will have the option to wear masks in the hallways
- All students will hand wash after using the restroom.
- Restrooms will limit the number of students in the bathrooms, based on the number of stalls in each bathroom.
- Expectations and universal precaution signage will be posted at student restrooms entry/exit
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed prior to entering the cafeteria.
- All student will handwash/hand sanitize before entering the cafeteria.
- Doors in route to the cafeteria will be propped open to limit touching of surfaces
- Cold lunch boxes/food from home will be individually separated in the classroom and will transition to/from the cafeteria ONLY by the students to which the food belongs
- Students will practice no-touch rules while in lines
- Students will sit at tables assigned to their classroom using their class seating chart.
- Number of students at each table will be limited to promote social distancing and a seating chart will be used
- Grade levels will arrive/dismiss from the cafeteria based on a staggered school-wide schedule.
- Students will practice safe, respectful, and polite eating habits.
- Students will need to use the restroom will first ask a cafeteria supervisor.
- Students will only consume the food provided by the cafeteria, store bought, delivered food, or brought from home
- Students will exit the cafeteria after being excused.
- Students who need more time to eat, may move to a designated table and social distance
- Lunch tables will be cleaned/sanitized between student groups.
- Students will follow building's indoor lunch recess schedule when unable to go outside for lunch recess.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering the classroom from the playground
- Students will play using safe distancing practices.
- Number of students on the playground during recess will be decreased
- Close contact games/activities will not be allowed on the playground
- Students will line up with safe distancing
- Students will have the option to wear masks
- Students will hand sanitize frequently
- Seating charts will be used in the classroom, specials, and cafeteria.
Specials (PE/Health/Music/Library/Computer Lab/Additional Electives):
- Students will participate in typical specials classrooms (i.e, music room, gym, library)
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed prior to entering the specials classroom.
- All students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering a specials classroom and when exiting.
- Students who need to use the restroom will first ask the specials teacher. One student per restroom may be excused from the specials classroom at a time.
- Students will help with the sanitizing of equipment and tables/desks between classes
Arrival and Dismissal:
- Volunteers will be allowed into the building on a limited basis
- Parents will be asked and reminded to physically distance
- Parents will not be able to wait on the playground
- Parents will drop students off and leave immediately and will be asked not congregate on school grounds
- Parents and visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the office/meeting room areas
- Parents/Guardians will not be allowed to wait with/for students during arrival/dismissal staging locations
- Having lunch at the school with their child will not be permitted during the 2021-2022 school year.
- Parents/guardians will not be allowed to wait with/for students on playground/arrival/dismissal/staging locations
- Staff will assist in the supervision of students during arrival/dismissal
- Staff will reteach expectations for universal precautions during arrival/dismissal.
Office/Check in-Out Areas:
- Office staff will utilize signage, physical distancing, and floor signs.
- Staff will reteach universal precautions during student check-in processes.
- Staff will observe visual markers and signage that directs traffic flow in walkways/hallways.
- Staff will avoid congregating and/or stopping in walkways/hallways.
- All staff will wash hands after using the restroom
- Staff restrooms will be limited to 2 staff members at a time.
- Expectations and universal precaution signage will be posted at staff restrooms entry/exit
- Staff will handwash/sanitize before entering cafeteria and re-entering the classroom.
- Staff will eat lunch in a sanitized, designated areas and will socially distance if eating in a shared location.
- Staff will consume only their meal and/or food provided for themselves.
- Staff will separate lunches/food brought from home in clearly marked bags/containers.
- Staff will remind students to handwash/sanitize before entering the classroom from the playground.
Specials (PE/Health/Music/Library/Computer Lab/Additional Electives
- Staff will remind students to wash/sanitize before entering the classroom.
- Specialist classrooms will utilize non-porous, non -fabric- based materials and equipment.
Other Consideration Strategies
- Students will practice universal precaution expectations during school gatherings/events.
- Large school/grade level/classroom gatherings including assemblies and other programs/events will be held only if social distancing can be accomplished. Virtual options will be provided if possible
- Parents/guardians including visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the front office/meeting room areas
- Meeting attendees will practice universal precaution procedures in place.
- Parents/guardians will not be allowed to wait with students
- All meetings/gatherings/professional development will observe expectations for physical distancing and universal precautions
- Staff will not share food during meetings/gatherings/PLC’s/professional development
- Staff will continue to attend required meetings (MDT,504, RTI, Staff, PD) with universal precaution procedures in place.
- Online replacements for live required meetings (MDT, 504, RTI, Staff, PD) will be utilized as much as possible and when available.
How to help:
- Continue to monitor your child’s physical condition.
- If your child is sick, please keep them home.
- Similar to the school environment, it is imperative that the home is kept as clean as possible and proper hygiene protocols are followed.
COVID Testing and Reporting:
- Utilizing existing processes for communicable diseases, positive COVID cases, knowledge of individual who has received a COVID test and is awaiting results, or knowledge of an exposure, will be reported to the Health Services department with consideration of the following:
- Confidentiality with ADA and HIPAA will be maintained
- Staff member contacts school nurse. School nurse will follow Health Services process for handling of communicable diseases
- Independent decisions to send out communication will not occur
Students Showing Symptoms at School:
- Students will be sent to the office and the nurse will evaluate them in the isolation room
- Nurse will contact parents