21-22 Ustick Health and Safety Plan
1. Protect the health and safety of students and staff - physical, emotional, and mental
2. Consistent with local health authorities’ recommendations
3. Guaranteed and viable curriculum for all students and schools
4. Adaptability and flexibility with evolution of COVID 19
5. Emphasize a culture of personal accountability and high integrity
6. Encourage predictable patterns of behavior
7. We will encourage safe interactions with staff and among students while adhering to physical distancing guidelines laid out by health officials.
Administrator and custodial walk-through:
- The administrator will complete a building walk-through with the head custodian a minimum of once per week.
- The intent of the walk-through is to identify any troublesome areas (such as low hand sanitizer, soap, congestion areas during transitions, etc.) and to remedy any concerns in a timely manner.
Cleaning schedule and processes:
- Frequent hand washing and/or hand sanitizing is of upmost importance in the spread of COVID. Therefore, WASD has ensured that we have enough inventory of soap and sanitizer.
- Handwashing stations are provided within classrooms.
- Staff will be provided cleaning supplies to disinfect/wipe down tables or materials when needed.
- Daily, Ustick custodial staff will be disinfecting tables/desks, countertops, sinks, toilets, and frequently touched surfaces such as doors and door handles, light switches, and hand railings with the Victory sprayer (an electrostatically charged sprayer) in conjunction with the chemical; BruTab 6S (Disinfectant tablet).
- Two times per week, Ustick will have a deeper disinfection of desktops, tables, chairs and other surfaces tops with a chemical called SC Johnson TruShot Disinfectant. Along with this, twice per week, student cubbies will be disinfected with the Victory Sprayer in conjunction with the BruTab 6S (Disinfectant Tablet).
- Cafeteria tables and benches will be disinfected after each use. Tables will have physical distancing labels to ensure students know where to sit to keep physical distance from one another while eating. Social distancing may include a staggered lunch schedule and/or lunch in classrooms.
- All classrooms will be arranged to maximize physical spacing between students.
- Classroom tables and/or desks will be placed to maximize physical distancing between students.
- Student seating will remain at the tables/desks and will NOT be stacked nightly.
- Non-essential items will be removed once the administrator walk-through has happened. (Examples of non-essential items are those that have no instructional, learning, or job-related purpose.)
- Classrooms will utilize non-porous, reusable materials that can be disinfected. Consumable materials (pencils, paper, etc.) will not be shared.
- Cubby areas will be accessible for students to place their items on their own hook and within individual bins.
Library use, access and furniture: (Librarian currently going to individual classrooms)
- Access to the library will be on a limited basis. Students will not be permitted to go to the library before, after school or during recess.
- All physical distancing and guidelines are in effect during use.
- Students will be expected to use the provided hand sanitizer immediately upon entering and exiting the library.
- Book checkout and collection will be structured by our Librarian. Students and families will be instructed on how to search for books through Library Resources (found on the Ustick website).
- Difficult to clean furniture will be used on a limited basis or will not be accessible during the 2020-2021 school year.
Computer lab use and cleaning: (Computer Teacher currently going to individual classrooms)
- The computer lab will be used on a limited basis, the computer teacher will go to classrooms as often as possible for computer time.
- Students/ Teacher will use the provided hand sanitizer immediately upon entering and exiting the classroom.
- Sanitizing of workstations will occur by the computer teacher in between device usage.
- Physical distancing signage or markings that serve as reminders to avoid close contact have been placed on the floors and universal safety precaution posters (depicting handwashing, physical distancing, covering coughs and sneezes, cleaning and disinfecting, and staying at home if sick) are posted on walls in the following areas:
- Main office lobby (include portable plexiglass barrier)
- Library (include portable plexiglass barrier)
- Nurses office (include portable plexiglass barrier)
- Hallways, restrooms, classrooms and in the Gym/Cafeteria
- Students will not be permitted to arrive on campus until 8:45 am Monday - Friday
- Upon arrival, students will report directly to their classroom using the exterior classroom doors.
- Students on a late bus arrival will enter through their classroom exterior door.
- Students are expected to wear face coverings while on campus. This includes while in the building, on the playground and at arrival/dismissal staging locations.
- Students will keep personal belongings (backpacks, coats, lunch boxes) with them at arrival/dismissal staging locations.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands as soon as they enter the building.
- At dismissal, students are expected to leave campus immediately following dismissal or wait in the designated staging area for pickup.
- On rainy days, students will go directly to their classroom outside doors and be allowed into the rooms.
Office/Check In-Out Areas:
- Students entering campus after 9:10am (tardy/late) will enter through the main office doors and check-in using the typical processes.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands after entering the building.
- Students will be expected to wear face coverings when entering the building.
- Accompanying parents/guardians are required to wear masks and will remain in the main office/lobby area.
- Student hallway transitions will be supervised to ensure physical distancing between students.
- Students will avoid congregating hallways and will be expected to keep hands to themselves as they walk, following the Ustick Way.
- Students will observe visual floor markers and signage that direct traffic flow in hallways.
- Expectations and universal safety precaution signage will be posted at the entry of student restrooms.
- Doors leading into restrooms will be propped open to limit touching of surfaces.
- Restroom usage and physical distancing expectations will be taught and reviewed by classroom teachers, specialist teachers and reminders will be made weekly during morning announcements. These procedures will follow our Ustick Way.
- Students who need to use the restroom will need to ask permission by the teacher. The teacher will allow only one child to leave their classroom at a time. If needed in the lower grades (especially at the beginning of the year when routines are new), teachers could take their entire class to have a bathroom break, with students physically distancing in the hallways waiting their turn to use the restroom.
- During lunch recess, bathrooms will be monitored to limit the number of students in the bathroom at one time.
- All students will be expected to wash their hands after using the restroom.
- Universal safety precautions will be taught and regularly reviewed by classroom and specialist teachers.
- All students will be expected to wear face coverings while in classrooms.
- All students will be expected to handwash/hand sanitize when entering classrooms.
- Students will use their own cubby hook for backpacks/coats. Individual storage bins will be supplied to students to keep their own supplies separate from other supplies. Before arriving to school, please label ALL supplies with student’s first name and initial of last name.
- Students will be asked to sit at the same desk/table location with the same chair each day (no intermixing of flexible seating choices at this time.)
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed prior to entering the cafeteria.
- All students will handwash/hand sanitize before entering the cafeteria.
- Doors in route to the cafeteria will be propped open to limit touching of surfaces.
- Cold lunch boxes/food from home will ONLY be handled by the students to which the food belongs.
- Students will practice no-touch rules (Ustick Way) while in lines and students will adhere to physical distancing.
- Students will sit at individual tables, designated by grade level and/or classroom, with physical distancing markers denoted on tables.
- Grade levels will arrive/dismiss from the cafeteria based on a staggered school-wide schedule.
- Students will practice safe, respectful, and polite eating habits.
- Students will need to use the restroom will first ask a cafeteria supervisor. One student per restroom may be excused from the cafeteria at a time.
- Students will exit the cafeteria to the designated playground area after being excused.
- Students who need more time to eat, may move to a designated table and physical distance.
- Cafeteria tables and benches will be disinfected after each use.
- If students are unable to go outside after lunch (due to inclement weather), then students will be required to go to their individual classrooms.
- The playground will be off limits before and after school.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering the playground.
- Face coverings will be expected to be worn while on the playground.
- Students will play using safe, physical distancing practices.
- Designated areas of play may be assigned to ensure students from one classroom play within the same area. (These designated areas will be on a rotation schedule, so students have opportunities to play in different areas within the week.)
- Responsible Use Agreement Link: https://www.westada.org/Page/78713
- Parent/Student Device Handbook Link: https://www.westada.org/Page/78608
Specials (Health/Music/Computer Lab):
- Specialist teachers will travel to classrooms, providing instruction in the general education classroom setting or outside, weather permitting.
- Students will participate in typical specials with their pod.
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed.
- All students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering a specials classroom.
- Students who need to use the restroom will first ask the specials teacher. Only one student may be excused from the special’s classroom at a time to use the restroom.
- All students will handwash/hand sanitize before entering the gym or library.
- Students will use hand sanitizing stations before book check out. The librarian will pull specific books or designated specific areas for individual classes to look through books.
Arrival and Dismissal:
- Parents and visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the front office/meeting room areas, until further notice.
- Volunteers are not allowed into the building until further notice.
- Parents/Guardians will not be allowed to wait with students during arrival nor are they allowed to enter campus or wait at staging areas during dismissal. Instead, parents are asked to use the parent pick up loop with their vehicles. If parents/guardians are walking or biking to pick up their child/children, they are asked to physically distance at the entrances of our campus and wait for their child/children to come to them.
- Parents and visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the office/meeting room areas, until further notice
- Masks are expected to be worn when in the building.
- Having lunch at the school with their child will not be permitted during the 2020-2021 school year.
- Parents/Guardians will not be allowed to wait with or for students on playground at any time during the 2020-21 school year.
- Staff will assist in the supervision of students during arrival/dismissal.
- Staff will reteach expectations for universal precautions during arrival/dismissal.
Office/Check in-Out Areas:
- Office staff will utilize signage, physical distancing, floor signs, and mobile plexiglass barriers.
- Staff will prompt students to wear face coverings when entering the building.
- Staff will observe visual markers and signage that directs traffic flow in walkways/hallways.
- Staff will avoid congregating and/or stopping in walkways/hallways and adhere to physical distancing expectations.
- All staff will wash hands after using the restroom.
- Staff restrooms will be limited to one staff member at a time.
- Universal precaution signage will be posted at staff restrooms entry/exit.
- Staff will handwash/sanitize their hands frequently.
- Staff will utilize reusable materials that can be disinfected. Consumable materials (pencils, paper, etc.) will not be shared.
- Materials and equipment will be sanitized by teacher as needed.
- Staff will monitor students to ensure they are adhering to physical distancing.
- Staff will handwash/sanitize before entering cafeteria and re-entering the classroom.
- Staff will eat lunch in a sanitized, designated areas and will socially distance if eating in a shared location.
- Staff will consume only their meal and/or food provided for themselves.
- Staff will remind students to handwash/sanitize before entering the classroom from the playground.
- Staff are scheduled to supervise students on the playground to promote safety and to remind students of physical distancing expectations.
Specials (PE/Health/Music/Library/Computer Lab/STEM)
- Staff will remind students to wash/sanitize before entering the classroom.
- Specialist classrooms will utilize non-porous, reusable materials that can be disinfected. Consumable materials (pencils, paper, etc.) will not be shared.
- Materials and equipment will be sanitized by teacher as needed
Other Consideration Strategies
- Students will practice universal precaution expectations during school gatherings/events.
- Parents/guardians including visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the front office/meeting room areas, until further notice.
- Online replacements for live required meetings (MDT, 504, RTI, Staff, PD) will be utilized as much as possible and when available. If meetings are conducted in person, meeting attendees will practice universal precaution procedures.
How to help:
- Continue to monitor your child’s physical condition.
- If your child is sick, please keep them home.
- Similar to the school environment, it is imperative that the home is kept as clean as possible and proper hygiene protocols are followed.
- It is recommended that masks are washed frequently.
- All meetings/gatherings/professional development will observe expectations for physical distancing and universal precautions.
- Staff will not share and/or provide food (potlucks) during meetings/gatherings/PLC’s/professional development.
- Staff will continue to attend required meetings (MDT,504, RTI, Staff, PD) with universal precaution procedures in place.
- Online replacements for live required meetings (MDT, 504, RTI, Staff, PD) will be utilized as much as possible and when available.
COVID Testing & Reporting:
- Utilizing existing processes for communicable diseases, positive COVID cases, knowledge of individual who has received a COVID test and is awaiting results, or knowledge of an exposure, will be reported to the Health Services department with consideration of the following:
- Confidentiality with ADA and HIPAA WILL be maintained
- Staff member contacts school nurse. School nurse will follow Health Services process for handling of communicable diseases
- *Athletics – Staff member will notify ATC/AD in addition to school nurse
- Independent decisions to send out communication will not occur.