21-22 Siena Health and Safety Plan
We currently have a mask requirement in our building.
- Protect the health and safety of students and staff - physical, emotional, and mental
- Consistent with local health authorities’ recommendations
- Guaranteed and viable curriculum for all students and schools
- Adaptability and flexibility with evolution of COVID 19
- Emphasize a culture of personal accountability and high integrity
- Encourage predictable patterns of behavior
- Limit Interactions & Isolate groups as much as possible. The more proactive and self-contained plans are, the less impact a building will have when they have a positive case. When there is a positive case does the plan and effective implementation of the plan result in remote learning for an impacted classroom, grade, POD, school vs multiple schools and/or entire District.
Administrator, Nurse and custodian walk-through:
- The administrator will complete a building walk-through weekly and meet with the head custodian and nurse as needed.
- The intent of the walk-through is to identify any troublesome areas and to remedy the concern in a timely manner.
- Frequent hand washing and/or hand sanitizing is of upmost importance in the spread of COVID. Therefore, WASD has ensured that we have enough inventory of soap.
- Wall mount hand sanitizer stations are in every classroom. Teachers will inform custodial staff when refills are needed.
- WASD will be disinfecting daily, frequently touched surfaces such as doors and door handles, light switches, and hand railings, desks tables, chairs and countertops with the Victory sprayer (an electrostatically charged sprayer) in conjunction with the chemical; BruTab 6S (Disinfectant tablet).
- At least 2 times a week there will be deeper disinfection of desktops, tables, lockers and other surfaces tops with a chemical called SC Johnson TruShot Disinfectant. Along with this 2 times a week, student cubbies will be disinfected with the Victory Sprayer in conjunction with the BruTab 6S (Disinfectant Tablet).
- All classrooms will be arranged to maximize the spacing between student desks.
- All nonessential items will be removed once the administrator walk-through has happened. Examples of nonessential items are those that have no instructional, learning, or job-related purpose.
- Students will minimize interactions within 3 ft for no longer than 15 minutes.
Library use, access and furniture:
- The use of the library will be allowed by a maximum of one class at a time.
- All physical distancing and guidelines are in effect during use.
- Access to the library will be on a limited basis.
Computer lab use and cleaning:
- Students will use the hand sanitizer immediately upon entering and exiting the classroom and will use the sanitizing wipes on their workstation as a regularly scheduled task when directed by the teacher.
- Physical distancing signage or markings that serve as reminders have been placed on the floors in the following areas:
- Main office lobby (include portable plexiglass barrier)
- Library desk (include portable plexiglass barrier)
- Nurses office
- SLP office will include portable plexiglass barrier
- Student arrival/dismissal will follow school-wide schedule
- Face masks are optional while on the playground/arrival/dismissal staging locations
- Students will keep personal belongings (backpacks, coats, lunch boxes) with them while on the playground/arrival/dismissal/staging locations
- Parents will meet their children during dismissal in the parent parking lot or along the street sidewalks. Parents will not meet them on the actual school grounds.
Office/Check In-Out Areas:
- Tardy/late students will enter through the main office doors and check-in using the typical processes
- Students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering the building, past the front office area.
- Masks are required in the building for all staff and students unless a medical exemption is on file.
- Accompanying parents/guardians will remain in the main office area. While inside the building, visitors and volunteers are required to wear a mask.
- Student walkway/hallway transitions will ensure safe distancing between classes.
- Students will walk in line during transitions as a class and will have safe distancing between students
- Students will avoid congregating and/or stopping in walkways/hallways.
- Students will wear masks in the hallways unless a medical exemption is on file. When going to lunch and recess, students are not required to wear a mask in the hallway.
- All students will hand wash after using the restroom.
- Restrooms will limit the number of students in the bathrooms, based on the number of stalls in each bathroom.
- Expectations and universal precaution signage will be posted at student restrooms entry/exit
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed prior to entering the cafeteria.
- All student will handwash/hand sanitize before entering the cafeteria.
- Doors in route to the cafeteria will be propped open to limit touching of surfaces
- Cold lunch boxes/food from home will be individually separated in the classroom and will transition to/from the cafeteria ONLY by the students to which the food belongs
- Students will practice no-touch rules while in lines
- Students will sit at tables assigned to their classroom
- Number of students at each table will be limited to promote social distancing
- Grade levels will arrive/dismiss from the cafeteria based on a staggered school-wide schedule.
- Students will practice safe, respectful, and polite eating habits.
- Students will need to use the restroom will first ask a cafeteria supervisor.
- Students will only consume the food provided by the cafeteria, store bought, delivered food, or brought from home
- Students will exit the cafeteria after being excused.
- Students who need more time to eat, may move to a designated table and social distance
- Lunch tables will be cleaned/sanitized between student groups.
- Students will follow building's indoor lunch recess schedule when unable to go outside for lunch recess.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering the classroom from the playground
- Students will play using safe distancing practices.
- Number of students on the playground during recess will be decreased
- Close contact games/activities will not be allowed on the playground
- Students will line up with safe distancing
- Students will be required to wear masks unless a medical exemption in on file.
- Students will hand sanitize frequently
Specials (PE/Health/Music/Library/Computer Lab/Additional Electives:
- Students will participate in typical specials classrooms (i.e, music room, gym, library)
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed prior to entering the specials classroom.
- All students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering a specials classroom and when exiting.
- Students who need to use the restroom will first ask the specials teacher. One student per restroom may be excused from the specials classroom at a time.
- Students will help with the sanitizing of equipment and tables/desks between classes
Arrival and Dismissal:
- Parents and visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the front office/meeting room areas
- Volunteers will be allowed into the building on a limited basis
- Parents will be asked and reminded to socially distance
- Parents will not be able to cross the red line to the playground
- Parents will drop students off and leave immediately and will not congregate on school grounds
- Parents and visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the office/meeting room areas
- Parents/Guardians will not be allowed to wait with/for students during arrival/dismissal staging locations
- Having lunch at the school with their child will not be permitted during the 2021-2022 school year.
- Parents/guardians will not be allowed to wait with/for students on playground/arrival/dismissal/staging locations
- Staff will assist in the supervision of students during arrival/dismissal
- Staff will reteach expectations for universal precautions during arrival/dismissal.
Office/Check in-Out Areas:
- Office staff will utilize signage, physical distancing, floor signs, and mobile plexiglass barriers.
- Staff will reteach universal precautions during student check-in processes.
- Staff will observe visual markers and signage that directs traffic flow in walkways/hallways.
- Staff will avoid congregating and/or stopping in walkways/hallways.
- All staff will wash hands after using the restroom
- Staff restrooms will be limited to 2 staff members at a time.
- Expectations and universal precaution signage will be posted at staff restrooms entry/exit
- Staff will handwash/sanitize before entering cafeteria and re-entering the classroom.
- Staff will eat lunch in a sanitized, designated areas and will socially distance if eating in a shared location.
- Staff will consume only their meal and/or food provided for themselves.
- Staff will separate lunches/food brought from home in clearly marked bags/containers.
- Staff will remind students to handwash/sanitize before entering the classroom from the playground.
Specials (PE/Health/Music/Library/Computer Lab/Additional Electives
- Staff will remind students to wash/sanitize before entering the classroom.
- Specialist classrooms will utilize non-porous, non -fabric- based materials and equipment.
Other Consideration Strategies
- Students will practice universal precaution expectations during school gatherings/events.
- Large school/grade level/classroom gatherings including assemblies and other programs/events will be held only if social distancing can be accomplished. Virtual options will be provided if possible
- Parents/guardians including visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the front office/meeting room areas
- Meeting attendees will practice universal precaution procedures in place.
- Parents/guardians will not be allowed to wait with students
- All meetings/gatherings/professional development will observe expectations for physical distancing and universal precautions
- Staff will not share food during meetings/gatherings/PLC’s/professional development
- Staff will continue to attend required meetings (MDT,504, RTI, Staff, PD) with universal precaution procedures in place.
- Online replacements for live required meetings (MDT, 504, RTI, Staff, PD) will be utilized as much as possible and when available.
How to help:
- Continue to monitor your child’s physical condition.
- If your child is sick, please keep them home.
- Similar to the school environment, it is imperative that the home is kept as clean as possible and proper hygiene protocols are followed.
COVID Testing and Reporting:
- Utilizing existing processes for communicable diseases, positive COVID cases, knowledge of individual who has received a COVID test and is awaiting results, or knowledge of an exposure, will be reported to the Health Services department with consideration of the following:
- Confidentiality with ADA and HIPAA will be maintained
- Staff member contacts school nurse. School nurse will follow Health Services process for handling of communicable diseases
- Independent decisions to send out communication will not occur
Students Showing Symptoms at School:
- Students will be sent to the office and the nurse will evaluate them
- Nurse will contact parents