2021-2022 BMSA Health and Safety Plan
Revised November 5, 2021
- Protect the health and safety of students and staff - physical, emotional, and mental.
- Guaranteed and viable curriculum for all students and schools.
- Adaptability and flexibility with evolution of COVID 19.
- Emphasize a culture of personal accountability and high integrity.
- Encourage social distancing as much as possible
Administrator and custodial walk-through:
The administrator will complete a building walk-through with the head custodian no less than once per week.
- The intent of the walk-through is to identify any troublesome areas (such as low hand sanitizer, soap, congestion areas during transitions, etc.) and to remedy any concerns in a timely manner.
Cleaning schedule and processes:
- Frequent hand washing and/or hand sanitizing is of utmost importance in the spread of COVID. Therefore, WASD has ensured that we have enough inventory of soap and sanitizer.
- Wall mount hand sanitizer stations have been placed in every classroom.
- Handwashing stations are provided within classrooms.
- Staff will be provided cleaning supplies to disinfect/wipe down tables or materials when needed.
- Daily, BMSA custodial staff will be disinfecting tables/desks, countertops, sinks, toilets, and frequently touched surfaces such as doors and door handles, light switches, and hand railings.
- Weekly, BMSA will have a deeper disinfection of desktops, tables, chairs and other surfaces tops.
- Cafeteria tables and benches will be disinfected after each use. Tables will have physical distancing labels to ensure students know where to sit to keep physical distance from one another while eating.
- Physical distancing will be maintained as much as possible.
- Student seating will remain at the tables/desks and will NOT be stacked nightly.
- Shared materials will be routinely disinfected.
- Cubby areas will be accessible for students to place their items on their own hook and with individual bins or baggies to hold supplies.
Library use, access and furniture:
- All physical distancing and guidelines are in effect during use of library.
- Students will be expected to use the provided hand sanitizer immediately upon entering and exiting the library.
- Book checkout and collection will be structured by our Librarian. Students and families will be instructed on how to search for books through Library Resources (found on the Community tab of our BMSA website).
Computer lab use and cleaning:
- Students will use the provided hand sanitizer immediately upon entering and exiting the classroom.
- Sanitizing of workstations will occur by the computer teacher in between device usage.
- Universal safety precaution posters (depicting handwashing, physical distancing, covering coughs and sneezes, cleaning and disinfecting, and staying at home if sick) are posted on walls in the following areas:
- Main office lobby (include portable plexiglass barrier)
- Library (include portable plexiglass barrier)
- Nurses office
- Hallways, restrooms, classrooms and in the Gym/Cafeteria
- Students will not be permitted to arrive on campus until 8:45am Mon/Tues/Thurs Fri and 9:05am Wednesdays.
- Upon arrival, students will remain on the playground until the bell or go to the cafeteria (from exterior cafeteria door) if eating breakfast at school.
- Students are encouraged to wear face masks while on campus. This includes while in the building, on the playground and at arrival/dismissal staging locations.
- Students will keep personal belongings (backpacks, coats, lunch boxes) with them while on the playground, in the cafeteria during breakfast, and at arrival/dismissal staging locations.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands as soon as they enter the building.
- At dismissal, students are expected to leave campus immediately following dismissal or wait in the designated staging area for pickup.
Office/Check In-Out Areas:
- Students entering campus tardy/late will enter through the main office doors and check-in using the typical processes.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands after entering the building.
- It is encouraged students wear masks when entering the building.
- Accompanying parents/guardians will remain in the main office/lobby area.
- Student hallway transitions will be supervised.
- Students will avoid congregating in hallways and will be expected to keep hands to themselves as they walk.
- Expectations and universal safety precaution signage will be posted at the entry of student restrooms.
- Restroom hygiene and physical distancing expectations will be taught and reviewed by classroom teachers, specialist teachers and reminders will be made during morning announcements.
- Students who need to use the restroom will need to ask permission by the teacher. The teacher will limit the number of students leaving their classroom at a time.
- During lunch recess, bathrooms will be monitored to limit the number of students in the bathroom at one time.
- All students will be expected to wash their hands after using the restroom.
- Universal safety precautions will be taught and regularly reviewed by classroom and specialist teachers.
- All students will be expected to handwash/hand sanitize when entering classrooms.
- Students will use their own cubby hook for backpacks/coats. Individual storage bins will be supplied to students to keep their own supplies separate from other supplies. Before arriving to school, please label ALL supplies with student’s first name and initial of last name.
- Drinking fountains will not be used this year, however, students can fill their water bottles from classroom sinks or water bottle stations.
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed prior to entering the cafeteria.
- All students will handwash/hand sanitize before entering the cafeteria.
- Cold lunch boxes/food from home will ONLY be handled by the students to which the food belongs.
- Students will practice no-touch rules while in lines and students will adhere to physical distancing.
- Students will sit at individual tables, designated by grade level and/or classroom, with physical distancing markers denoted on tables.
- Students will practice safe, respectful, and polite eating habits.
- Students will need to use the restroom will first ask a cafeteria supervisor. One student per restroom may be excused from the cafeteria at a time.
- Students will exit the cafeteria to the designated playground area after being excused.
- Students who need more time to eat, may move to a designated table and physical distance.
- Cafeteria tables and benches will be disinfected after each use.
- If students are unable to go outside after lunch (due to inclement weather), then students will be required to go to their individual classrooms.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering the playground.
- Students will play using safe, physical distancing practices.
- Playground will be off-limits after school during dismissal.
Specials (PE/Health/Music/Library/Computer Lab/STEM):
- Students will participate in typical specials.
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed.
- All students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering a specials classroom.
- Students who need to use the restroom will first ask the specials teacher. Only one student may be excused from the special’s classroom at a time to use the restroom.
- Students will use the provided hand sanitizer immediately upon entering and exiting the classroom.
- Sanitizing of workstations will occur by the teacher in between device/material usage.
Arrival and Dismissal:
- Parents and visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the front office/meeting room areas, until further notice.
- Volunteers are not allowed into the building until further notice.
- Parents/Guardians will not be allowed to wait with students during arrival nor are they allowed to enter campus or wait at staging areas during dismissal. Instead, parents are asked to remain in their vehicles and wait for their child to come to them. If parents/guardians are walking or biking to pick up their child/children, they are asked to physically distance at the entrances of our campus and wait for their child/children to come to them.
- Guest Speakers will be allowed on the basis that the teacher has made prior arrangements with administration and speakers adhere to mitigating measures.
- Parents and visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the office/meeting room areas, until further notice.
- Having lunch at the school with their child will not be permitted during the 2021-2022 school year.
- Parents/Guardians will not be allowed to wait with or for students on playground at any time during the 2021-2022 school year.
- Staff will assist in the supervision of students during arrival/dismissal.
- Staff will reteach expectations for universal precautions during arrival/dismissal.
Office/Check in-Out Areas:
- Utilize signage, physical distancing, and mobile plexiglass barriers.
- Staff will avoid congregating and/or stopping in walkways/hallways and adhere to physical distancing expectations.
- Staff will handwash/sanitize their hands frequently.
- Staff will utilize reusable materials that can be disinfected.
- Materials and equipment will be sanitized by teacher as needed.
- Staff will monitor students to encourage physical distancing.
- Staff will remind students to handwash/sanitize before entering the classroom from the playground.
- Staff are scheduled to supervise students on the playground to promote safety and to remind students of physical distancing expectations.
Other Consideration Strategies
- Students will practice universal precaution expectations during school gatherings/events.
- All meetings/gatherings/professional development will observe expectations for physical distancing and universal precautions.
- Staff will continue to attend required meetings (MDT,504, RTI, Staff, PD) with universal precaution procedures in place.
- Online replacements for live required meetings (MDT, 504, RTI, Staff, PD) will be utilized as much as possible and when available.
- Parents/guardians including visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the front office/meeting room areas, until further notice.
- Online replacements for live required meetings (MDT, 504, RTI, Staff, PD) will be utilized as much as possible and when available. If meetings are conducted in person, meeting attendees will practice universal precaution procedures.
How to help:
- Continue to monitor your child’s physical condition.
- If your child is sick, keep them home.
- Similar to the school environment, it is imperative that the home is kept as clean as possible and proper hygiene protocols are followed.
- It is recommended that masks are washed frequently.
COVID Testing & Reporting:
- Utilizing existing processes for communicable diseases, positive COVID cases, knowledge of individual who has received a COVID test and is awaiting results, or knowledge of an exposure, will be reported to the Health Services department with consideration of the following:
- Confidentiality with ADA and HIPAA WILL be maintained
- Staff member contacts school nurse. School nurse will follow Health Services process for handling of communicable diseases