21-22 Star Elementary Health and Safety Plan
*Masks are required for students and staff unless an Opt Out form has been submitted*
*While inside the building, volunteers and guests are limited and must wear a mask*
- Protect the health and safety of students and staff - physical, emotional, and mental
- Consistent with local health authorities’ recommendations
- Guaranteed and viable curriculum for all students and schools
- Adaptability and flexibility with evolution of COVID 19
- Emphasize a culture of personal accountability and high integrity
- Encourage predictable patterns of behavior
- Limit Interactions & Isolate groups as much as possible. The more proactive and self-contained plans are, the less impact a building will have when they have a positive case. When there is a positive case does the plan and effective implementation of the plan results in remote learning for an impacted classroom, grade, POD, school vs multiple schools and/or entire District.
Administrator and custodian walk-through:
- The administrator will complete a building walk-through with the head custodian no less than once a week.
- The intent of the walk-through is to identify any troublesome areas and to remedy the concern in a timely manner.
- Frequent hand washing and/or hand sanitizing is of upmost importance in the spread of COVID. Therefore, WASD has ensured that we have enough inventory of soap.
- Wall mount hand sanitizer stations have been purchased for placement in every classroom.
- WASD will be disinfecting daily, frequently touched surfaces such as doors and door handles, light switches, and hand railings with the Victory sprayer (an electrostatically charged sprayer) in conjunction with the chemical; BruTab 6S (Disinfectant tablet).
- 2 times a week schools will have a deeper disinfection of desktops, tables, and other surfaces tops with a chemical called SC Johnson TruShot Disinfectant. Along with these 2 times a week, student cubbies will be disinfected with the Victory Sprayer in conjunction with the BruTab 6S (Disinfectant Tablet).
- All classrooms will be modified to allow for physical distancing (e.g., including use of cohorts/podding).
- All nonessential items will be removed once the administrator walk-through has happened. Examples of nonessential items are those that have no instructional, learning, or job-related purpose.
Library use, access and furniture:
- The use of the library will be allowed by a maximum of one class at a time.
- All physical distancing and guidelines are in effect during use.
- Access to the library will be on a limited basis. Students will not be permitted to go to the library at the beginning and at the end of the day to return items only.
- The administration and the library staff will eliminate all cloth furniture, and difficult furniture to clean will be used on a limited basis or will not be accessible during the 2021-2022 school year.
Computer lab use and cleaning:
- The computer lab will solely be used for the keyboarding instruction and testing for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Students will use the hand sanitizer immediately upon entering and exiting the classroom and will use the sanitizing wipes on their workstation as a regularly scheduled task when directed by the teacher.
Schools will determine how best to use the district purchased plexiglass barriers and can purchase their own barriers to support their plan.
- Physical distancing signage or markings that serve as reminders have been placed on the floors in the following areas:
- Main office lobby (include portable plexiglass barrier)
- Library desk (include portable plexiglass barrier)
- Nurses office
- Student arrival/dismissal will follow school-wide schedule.
- Students will keep personal belongings (backpacks, coats, lunch boxes) with them while on the playground/arrival/dismissal/staging locations.
Office/Check In-Out Areas:
- Tardy/late students will enter through the main office doors and check-in using the typical processes.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering the building, past the front office area.
- Accompanying parents/guardians will remain in the foyer.
- Student walkway/hallway transitions will ensure safe distancing between classes.
- Students will avoid congregating and/or stopping in walkways/hallways.
- Students will observe visual markers and signage that direct traffic flow in walkways/hallways.
- Students will use outdoor walkways when possible.
- Masks are required in the classroom unless a medical exemption or a parent Opt Out form is noted in PowerSchool.
- Students will use hand sanitizer as they enter the classroom and frequently as per teacher instruction or personal preference.
- Students will use their own personal supplies and will keep them separate from other student supplies.
- Students will be assigned classroom supplies (manipulatives, scissors, etc) and will keep them separate from other student supplies.
- Students are expected to take home personal items daily (backpacks, coats, lunch boxes, etc) so cubbies and shelves can be sanitized.
- All students will hand wash after using the restroom.
- Restroom will be limited to the number of stalls available. If the restroom is full the students will wait in the hallway at the designated locations posted to remain appropriately distanced.
- Expectations and universal precaution signage will be posted at student restrooms entry/exit
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed prior to entering the cafeteria.
- All student will handwash/hand sanitize before entering the cafeteria.
- Doors in route to the cafeteria will be propped open to limit touching of surfaces
- Cold lunch boxes/food from home will be individually separated in the classroom and will transitions to/from the cafeteria ONLY by the students to which the food belongs
- Students will practice no-touch rules while in lines
- Students will sit at individual tables, designated by grade level and/or classroom
- Grade levels will arrive/dismiss from the cafeteria based on a staggered school-wide schedule.
- Students will practice safe, respectful, and polite eating habits.
- Students will need to use the restroom will first ask a cafeteria supervisor. One student per restroom may be excused from the cafeteria at a time.
- Students will only consume the food provided by the cafeteria, store bought delivered food, or brought from home
- Students will exit the cafeteria after being excused.
- Students who need more time to eat, may move to a designated table and social distance.
- Lunch tables will be cleaned/sanitized between student groups.
- Students will follow building/s indoor lunch recess schedule when unable to go outside for lunch recess.
- Students will have staggered lunch schedule to accommodate lower student numbers in the cafeteria.
- Students may be scheduled to eat outdoors when possible
- Students may be scheduled to eat in classrooms when possible
- Students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering the classroom from the playground
- Students will line up in a social distancing manner based on school protocols
- Students will sanitize before and after recess
- Only school equipment will be allowed and will be sanitized between recesses
Specials (PE/Health/Music/Library/Computer Lab/Additional Electives):
- Students will participate in typical specials classrooms (i.e, music room, gym, library)
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed prior to entering the specials classroom.
- All students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering a specials classroom.
- Students who need to use the restroom will first ask the specials teacher. One student per restroom may be excused from the specialist’s classroom at a time.
- Students are expected to take care of their provided one to one device at school and at home.
- In grades K-2, iPads (with case, device charger and cable) will be initially assigned to classrooms and made available for check-
- out by students for at home use as necessary.
- In grades 3-5, student laptops (with case, device charger, and optional stylus) will be individually distributed at the beginning of
- the school year and to new students as they enroll.
- An internet device can be provided to students, but the parent/guardian needs to let the administrative staff know their request of one for their home.
- Device insurance will be provided to those interested in purchase.
- School devices, device chargers, and any optional accessories such as charging cables and carrying cases must be returned during designated check-in/renewal times.
- Devices will be examined periodically during the school year to ensure they are functioning properly and being maintained by students.
Arrival and Dismissal:
- Parents and visitors will wait the front of the building for student pick-up during the school day.
- Parents and visitors will wait at the front of the building for student pick-up during the school day.
- Limit visitors and non-essential persons in the school building. While inside the building, volunteers and guests will wear masks during school hours, or anytime school personnel or students are present.
- Having lunch at the school with their child will not be permitted during the 2021-2022 school year.
- Parents/guardians will not be allowed to wait with/for students on playground durig arrival and dismissal.
- Staff will assist in the supervision of students during arrival/dismissal.
- Staff will reteach expectations for universal precautions during arrival/dismissal.
Office/Check in-Out Areas:
- Office staff will utilize signage, physical distancing, floor signs, and mobile plexiglass barriers.
- Staff will reteach universal precautions during student check-in processes.
- Staff will observe visual markers and signage that directs traffic flow in walkways/hallways.
- Staff will avoid congregating and/or stopping in walkways/hallways.
- All staff will wash hands after using the restroom.
- Staff restrooms will be limited to 2 staff members at a time.
- Expectations and universal precaution signage will be posted at staff restrooms entry/exit.
- Staff will handwash/sanitize before entering cafeteria and re-entering the classroom.
- Staff will eat lunch in a sanitized, designated areas and will socially distance if eating in a shared location.
- Staff will consume only their meal and/or food provided for themselves.
- Staff will separate lunches/food brought from home in clearly marked bags/containers.
- Staff will remind students to handwash/sanitize before entering the classroom from the playground.
Specials (PE/Health/Music/Library/Computer Lab/Additional Electives)
- Staff will remind students to wash/sanitize before entering the classroom.
- Specialist classrooms will utilize non-porous, non -fabric- based materials and equipment.
Other Consideration Strategies
- Students will practice universal precaution expectations during school gatherings/events.
- Limit visitors and non-essential persons in the building. While inside the building, volunteersw and guest will wear masks during the school hours or anytime school personnel or students are present.
- Meeting attendees will be encouraged to use TEAMS, but if in meeting in person will practice universal precaution procedures.
- All meetings/gatherings/professional development will observe expectations for physical distancing and universal precautions.
- Staff will not share and/or provide food (potlucks) during meetings/gatherings/PLC’s/professional development
- Staff will continue to attend required meetings (MDT,504, RTI, Parent Teacher Conferences, Staff meetings, and PD) with universal precaution procedures in place.
- Online replacements for live required meetings (MDT, 504, RTI, Staff, Parent Teacher Conference, PD) will be utilized as much as possible.
How to help:
- Continue to monitor your child’s physical condition.
- If your child is sick, please keep them home.
- Similar to the school environment, it is imperative that the home is kept as clean as possible and proper hygiene protocols are followed.
COVID Testing and Reporting
- Utilizing existing processes for communicable diseases, positive COVID cases, knowledge of individual who has received a COVID test and is awaiting results, or knowledge of an exposure, will be reported to Health Services department with consideration of the following;
- Confidentiality with ADA and HIPPA will be maintained
- Staff member contacts school nurse. School nurse will follow Health Services process for handling of communicable diseases
- Independent decision to send out communication will not occur