2020-21 Pathways Health and Safety Plan
- Protect the health and safety of students and staff - physical, emotional, and mental.
- Consistent with local health authorities’ recommendations
- Guaranteed and viable curriculum for all students and schools.
- Adaptability and flexibility with evolution of COVID 19.
- Emphasize a culture of personal accountability and high integrity
- Encourage predictable patterns of behavior
- Limit Interactions and isolate groups as much as possible. The more proactive and self-contained plans are the less impact a building will have when they have a positive case. When there is a positive case does the plan and effective implementation of the plan result in remote learning for an impacted classroom, grade, POD, school versus multiple schools and/or entire District.
Administrator and custodian walk-through:
- Principal will complete a building walk-through with the head custodian at least once a week.
- The intent of the walk-through is to identify any troublesome areas and to remedy the concern in a timely manner.
- Custodian will be disinfecting daily, frequently touched surfaces such as doors, bathroom handles/latches, hand washing stations and outside door entrances.
- Two times a week schools will have a deeper disinfection of desktops, tables, and other surfaces tops.
- Student desks will be arranged to maximize distance and minimize face to face contact.
- Teachers will adjust classroom layout to maximize distance regarding student movement and activities.
Library use, access and furniture:
- The use of the library will be allowed by a maximum of three students at a time.
- All physical distancing and guidelines are in effect during use.
- Library bench and counters will be regularly sanitized.
Computer lab use and cleaning:
- Pathways does not have a computer lab.
Signage: (Schools will determine how best to use the district purchased plexiglass barriers and can purchase their own barriers to support their plan.)
- Plexiglass will be used in main office and in small group room when meeting with students.
- Pathways has an HVAC unit for each classroom that circulates through each filter three times an hour. These will also inject outside air and will be adjusted to insert as much fresh air as possible.
- All classrooms will have hand sanitizer stations
- 8:40-2:58, 4 periods with time at the end of the day to place laptops in 1st period class for the next day.
- Students will continue to use current designated drop-off areas for bus and private vehicles.
- Students will only enter through the front of the school.
- Staff will be stationed inside and outside of the school.
- Students will be allowed to be inside commons area following appropriate distancing.
- Students will be dismissed from the commons area at 8:25 to go to classes.
- Students arriving after 8:25 will go directly to class or eat breakfast then go to class.
- Students who do not have a class will remain in the commons area distanced appropriately.
- Students will exit through exterior doors of each classroom after the start of the day.
- Students in rooms 121 and 150 will exit through the front door.
- Students will enter/exit all classes through exterior doors (except rooms 121 and 150).
- Students will use the outside as our hallway whenever possible.
- Students will line up before class following social distancing.
- Staff will supervise between passing periods.
- Students will sanitize hands when entering/exiting the classroom.
Entrances and Exits:
- Bell to go to first period will ring at 8:35 giving students 5 minutes to line up for class.
- Passing periods will be 3 minutes
8:40-9:59- 1st period (1 hour 18 minutes)
10:02-11:21 2nd Period
11:24-11:28 Announcements in 3rd period
12:09-1:28 3rd period
1:31-2:50 4th Period (If in Yellow, this will be Dismissal)
2:49-2:54 1st period of next day drop-off laptop for charging
2:54 Dismissal (if in Green)
- 8:10-8:25- students will line up following appropriate distancing.
- 8:25 students not eating will be send to classrooms.
- Online students will remain in the commons
- No Break.
- 11:24-12:06 students will line up from the outside going into the commons area. If inclement weather, line will go down hallway and turning down second hallway towards room 123 to allow students to keep distance. Students in commons area will eat at 11:24.
- Physical Education will take advantage of our small class size, large gym and outside area to allow students to keep distance when participating in the curriculum.
- Pathways does not have PE lockers
- School lockers will not be used. Students may carry a backpack.
Devices will be distributed to all students on the first day of school. Students will bring home their computer every day and return with it the following day.
Students will purchase insurance during registration process. A list will be kept by secretary.
Problem devices will first be viewed by classroom teacher who will fill out a Device Problem sheet and send it to the office.
Return to school:
- Administration will keep parents appraised of school operation in weekly updates.
- All 6th grade students will return daily starting October 5, 2020, unless district returns to RED.
- Online at home students will be given the option to come to school and use the commons area under safe-school supervision.
- Updates to school policies will be created as necessary and communicated to parents and students.
- The expectations are that students stand no closer than 6 feet from another person for more than 15 seconds.
- All staff members will provide support and reinforcement of the desired behavior.
- Frequent hand washing and/or hand sanitizing is of upmost importance in preventing the spread of COVID.
- Wall mount hand sanitizer stations have been placed in every classroom.
- Students will use the hand sanitizer upon entering and leaving classrooms.
- Students will be reminded to cough into their upper arm and away from others at all time.
- Staff will report student with persistent cough to the school nurse.
- Masks/face shields will be worn.
- Students will be reminded to keep the mask over their nose and mouth and minimize touching with their hands.
Reporting student absences:
- Parents will report an absence by calling the school.
- In the case that a student has contracted the virus, the parent is requested to provide this information to the secretary.
Student drop off & pick up:
Parents will continue to use current drop-off and pick-up procedures.
Building access and visitation:
- When the need to enter the school exists, the parent will be restricted to the office area.
- Having lunch at the school with their child will not be permitted during the 2020-2021 school year.
- During the 2020-2021 school year no parent drop-ins, including lunch, will be permitted.
- Parents will request an appointment when it is necessary to meet in person with school personnel.
- A Teams meeting or phone conference is the most desirable manner to hold a parent meeting.
How to help:
- Continue to monitor your child’s physical condition.
- If your child is sick, please keep them home.
- Similar to the school environment, it is imperative that the home is kept as clean as possible and proper hygiene protocols are followed.
- Masks/Faceshields need to be worn.
Return to work:
- At the beginning staff meeting, all members will review this plan and discuss methods to maintain communication with the students, parents and staff.
- The expectations are that staff members stand no closer than 6 feet from another person for more than 15 seconds.
- Staff members will be the role model for students by frequently washing hands and/or using hand sanitizer.
- Staff will be reminded to cough into their upper arm and away from others at all times.
- Staff is encouraged to monitor their physical feelings and to stay home if needed.
Mask use required.
Common places expectations:
- All staff meetings will be held in the commons area, spaced in a classroom or using Teams during the 2020-2021 school year.
- The staff lounge will not be available other than for quick access to the appliances and water.
- Proper physical distancing is a must while in the copy room.
Substitute & volunteers:
- The substitutes will be provided a copy of the highlights of the Building Health and Safety plan and reminded of the expectations at the time of check-in.
- Volunteers will be discouraged during the 2020-2021 school year unless specific arrangements are made between the teacher and the administration.
Other Consideration Strategies
- Administration will send weekly updates to families.
- Parents and students that desire to visit the school in person, can do so by appointment only during the 2020-2021 school year.
- All, all school assemblies will be canceled during the 2020-2021 school year. However, we will have smaller, mini-assemblies that allow for social distancing.
- Parent-Teacher conferences will be held via Teams or over the phone and by appointment only.
- All dances for the 2020-2021 school year have been canceled.
COVID Testing & Reporting:
- Utilizing existing processes for communicable diseases, positive COVID cases, knowledge of individual who has received a COVID test and is awaiting results, or knowledge of an exposure, will be reported to the Health Services department with consideration of the following:
- Confidentiality with ADA and HIPAA WILL be maintained
- Staff member contacts school nurse. School nurse will follow Health Services process for handling of communicable diseases
- All Field trips are canceled for the year.