Prospect Elementary Building Health & Safety Plan 2021-2022
**Please see the WASD Website for the latest masking information and other related information.
*Masks are required for students, staff and visitors.
Visitors to the building are limited at this time. While inside the building, all guests must wear a mask.
- Protect the health and safety of students and staff - physical, emotional, and mental
- Consistent with local health authorities’ recommendations
- Guaranteed and viable curriculum for all students and schools
- Adaptability and flexibility with evolution of COVID 19
- Emphasize a culture of personal accountability and high integrity
- Encourage predictable patterns of behavior
- Limit Interactions & Isolate groups as much as possible. The more proactive and self-contained plans are, the less impact a building will have when they have a positive case. When there is a positive case does the plan and effective implementation of the plan result in remote learning for an impacted classroom, grade, POD, school vs multiple schools and/or entire District.
Modifying facilities to allow for physical distancing (e.g., including use of cohorts/podding)
- Every West Ada school and district facility will maintain and update a site-specific Health and Safety Plan. These plans will be posted on school websites and may vary based on individual facility, staffing, enrollment, and operational response to current COVID-19 data as reported by the West Ada COVID-19 Data Dashboard.
- Limit visitors and non-essential persons in the school building. While inside the building, volunteers and guests will wear masks during school hours, or anytime school personnel or students are present.
- Each school and district facility will adhere to the following daily facility and physical distancing guidance:
Administrator and custodian walk-through:
- The administrator will complete a building walk-through with the head custodian no less than once a week.
- The intent of the walk-through is to identify any troublesome areas and to remedy the concern in a timely manner.
- Frequent hand washing and/or hand sanitizing is of upmost importance in the spread of COVID. Therefore, WASD has ensured that we have enough inventory of soap.
- Wall mount hand sanitizer stations have been purchased for placement in every classroom.
- WASD will be disinfecting daily, frequently touched surfaces such as doors and door handles, light switches, and hand railings with the Victory sprayer (an electrostatically charged sprayer) in conjunction with the chemical; BruTab 6S (Disinfectant tablet).
- 2 times a week schools will have a deeper disinfection of desktops, tables, and other surfaces tops with a chemical called SC Johnson TruShot Disinfectant. Along with this 2 times a week, student cubbies will be disinfected with the Victory Sprayer in conjunction with the BruTab 6S (Disinfectant Tablet).
- Classroom desks will be sanitized at the end of each day.
- All classrooms will be arranged to maximize for physical distancing between student desks.
- Classroom tables will
- adhere to the recommended physical distancing guidelines when able.
- In cases where physical distancing is not possible, due to the size of the classroom and/or number of students, the creation of pods will be considered. Each pod will be physically distanced from each other by at least three to six feet.
- Maintain physical distancing practices to allow for the recommended 6’ distancing between individuals and minimizing interactions between individuals within 6’ to less than 15 minutes, when possible.
Library use, access and furniture:
- The use of the library will be allowed by a maximum of one class at a time.
- All physical distancing and guidelines are in effect during use.
- Access to the library will be on a limited basis. Students will not be permitted to go to the library at the beginning and at the end of the day to return items only.
- The administration and the library staff will eliminate all cloth furniture, and difficult furniture to clean will be used on a limited basis or will not be accessible during the 2021-2022 school year.
- Students will use the hand sanitizer immediately upon entering and exiting the classroom.
Computer lab use and cleaning:
- The computer lab will solely be used for the keyboarding instruction and testing for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Students will use the hand sanitizer immediately upon entering and exiting the classroom and will use the sanitizing wipes on their workstation as a regularly scheduled task when directed by the teacher.
Schools will determine how best to use the district purchased plexiglass barriers and can purchase their own barriers to support their plan.
- Physical distancing signage or markings that serve as reminders have been placed on the floors in the following areas:
- Main office lobby
- Library desk
- Nurses office
- Student arrival/dismissal will follow school-wide schedule
- Students are expected to wear face masks while on the playground/arrival/dismissal staging locations
- Students will keep personal belongings (backpacks, coats, lunch boxes) with them while on the playground/arrival/dismissal/staging locations
- Parents will drop students off at the entrance of the school and immediately leave campus – no waiting or escorting to classrooms to avoid congestion and congregation of larger crowds
Office/Check In-Out Areas:
- Tardy/late students will enter through the main office doors and check-in using the typical processes.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering the building, past the front office area.
- Students will be encouraged to wear masks when entering the building.
- Accompanying parents/guardians will remain in the main office area.
- Student walkway/hallway transitions will ensure safe distancing between classes.
- Students will avoid congregating and/or stopping in walkways/hallways.
- Students will observe visual markers and signage that direct traffic flow in walkways/hallways.
- All students will hand wash after using the restroom.
- Restroom will be limited to the number of stalls available within the bathrooms.
- If the restroom is occupied, students will wait outside of the restroom on social distancing markers until available.
- Expectations and universal precaution signage will be posted at student restrooms entry/exit
- Students are encouraged to wear masks in the classroom.
- Students will use hand sanitizer as they enter the classroom and frequently as per teacher instruction or personal preference.
- Students will use their own personal supplies and will keep them separate from other student supplies.
- Students will be assigned classroom supplies (manipulatives, scissors, etc.) and will keep them separate from other student supplies.
- Students are expected to take home personal items daily (backpacks, coats, lunch boxes, etc) so that cubbies and shelves can be sanitized.
Cafeteria (if utilizing the cafeteria):
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed prior to entering the cafeteria.
- All student will handwash/hand sanitize before entering the cafeteria.
- Doors in route to the cafeteria will be propped open to limit touching of surfaces
- Students will practice no-touch rules while in lines and adhere to physical distancing
- Students will sit at individual tables, designated by grade level and/or classroom
- Grade levels will arrive/dismiss from the cafeteria based on a staggered school-wide schedule.
- Students will practice safe, respectful, and polite eating habits.
- Students who need to use the restroom will first ask a cafeteria supervisor. One student per stall in restroom may be excused from the cafeteria at a time.
- Students will only consume the food provided by the cafeteria, store bought delivered food, or brought from home
- Students will exit the cafeteria after being excused.
- Students who need more time to eat, may move to a designated table with appropriate distancing.
- Lunch tables will be cleaned/sanitized between student groups.
- Students will follow building/s indoor lunch recess schedule when unable to go outside for lunch recess.
Cafeteria (if not utilizing the cafeteria):
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed prior to lunch.
- All student will handwash/hand sanitize prior to lunch.
- Cold lunches will be stored in student’s personal cubby until the designated lunch time.
- Hot Lunches will be delivered to the classroom prior to lunch.
- Students purchasing hot lunch will get it from the cafteria and take it to their classroom.
- Students will sit at his/her assigned desk or table in the classroom while eating lunch.
- Students will practice no touch rules throughout lunch.
- Students will practice, safe, respectful, and polite eating habits.
- Students who need to use the restroom will ask the classroom teacher. One student per classroom.
- Students will only consume food provided by the cafeteria/store bought delivered food or brought from home.
- Students will clean up their lunch area.
- Desks/tables will be disinfected/sanitized at the end of lunch.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering the classroom from the playground
- Students will play in their assigned areas using safe distancing practices.
- Students will use equipment from grade level recess bins.
Specials (PE/Health/Music/Library/Computer Lab/Additional Electives):
- Students will participate in typical specials classrooms (i.e, music room, gym, library)
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed prior to entering the specials classroom.
- All students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering a specials classroom.
- Students who need to use the restroom will first ask the specials teacher. One student per classroom may be excused from the specialist’s classroom at a time.
Arrival and Dismissal:
- Parents and visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the front office/meeting room areas, until further notice.
- Volunteers are not allowed into the building, until further notice
- Parents and visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the office/meeting room areas, until further notice.
- Parents/Guardians will not be allowed to wait with/for students during arrival/dismissal staging locations.
- Having lunch at the school with their child will not be permitted during the 2020-2021 school year.
- Parents/guardians will not be allowed to wait with/for students on playground/arrival/dismissal/staging locations.
- Staff will assist in the supervision of students during arrival/dismissal.
- Staff will reteach expectations for universal precautions during arrival/dismissal.
Office/Check in-Out Areas:
- Office staff will utilize signage, physical distancing, floor signs, and mobile plexiglass barriers.
- Staff will reteach universal precautions during student check-in processes.
- Staff will observe visual markers and signage that directs traffic flow in walkways/hallways.
- Staff will avoid congregating and/or stopping in walkways/hallways.
- All staff will wash hands after using the restroom.
- Staff restrooms will be limited to the number of stalls per restroom.
- Expectations and universal precaution signage will be posted at staff restrooms entry/exit.
- Staff will handwash/sanitize before entering cafeteria and re-entering the classroom.
- Staff will eat lunch in a sanitized, designated areas and will socially distance if eating in a shared location.
- Staff will separate lunches/food brought from home in clearly marked bags/containers.
- Staff will remind students to handwash/sanitize before entering the classroom from the playground.
Specials (PE/Health/Music/Library/Computer Lab/Additional Electives)
- Staff will remind students to wash/sanitize before entering the classroom.
- Specialist classrooms will utilize non-porous, non -fabric- based materials and equipment.
- As needed, students will take their own personal supplies to specials.
Other Consideration Strategies
- Students will practice universal precaution expectations during school gatherings/events.
- Students will wear masks as recommended by county/district guidelines.
- Parents/guardians including visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the front office/meeting room areas, until further notice.
- Meetings will be planned and encouraged in an online platform.
- Meeting attendees will practice universal precaution procedures in place.
- Email appropriate staff if problems arise.
- Parents/guardians will not be allowed to wait with for students.
How to help:
- Continue to monitor your child’s physical condition.
- If your child is sick, please keep them home.
- Similar to the school environment, it is imperative that the home is kept as clean as possible and proper hygiene protocols are followed.
- All meetings/gatherings/professional development will observe expectations for physical distancing and universal precautions.
- Meetings will be planned and encouraged in an online platform
- Staff will continue to attend required meetings (MDT,504, RTI, Staff, PD) with universal precaution procedures in place.
- Online replacements for live required meetings (MDT, 504, RTI, Staff, PD) will be utilized as much as possible and when available.
COVID Testing & Reporting:
- Utilizing existing processes for communicable diseases, positive COVID cases, knowledge of individual who has received a COVID test and is awaiting results, or knowledge of an exposure, will be reported to the Health Services department with consideration of the following:
- Confidentiality with ADA and HIPAA WILL be maintained
- Staff member contacts school nurse. School nurse will follow Health Services process for handling of communicable diseases
- Independent decisions to send out communication will not occur.