21-22 RVES Health and Safety Plan
NOTE: MASKS ARE REQUIRED FOR STUDENTS, STAFF, AND VISITORS UNLESS A MEDICAL MASK EXEMPTION FROM A MEDICAL PROVIDER HAS BEEN HAS BEEN SUBMITTED.
Mask expectations may change during the school year. See the district website for the most current information.
- Protect the health and safety of students and staff - physical, emotional, and mental
- Consistent with local health authorities’ recommendations
- Guaranteed and viable curriculum for all students and schools
- Adaptability and flexibility with evolution of COVID 19
- Emphasize a culture of personal accountability and high integrity
- Encourage predictable patterns of behavior
- Limit Interactions & Isolate groups as much as possible. The more proactive and self-contained plans are, the less impact a building will have when they have a positive case. When there is a positive case does the plan and effective implementation of the plan result in remote learning for an impacted classroom, grade, POD, school vs multiple schools and/or entire District.
Administrator and custodian walk-through:
- The administrator will complete a building walk-through with the head custodian no less than twice monthly.
- The intent of the walk-through is to identify any troublesome areas and to remedy the concern in a timely manner.
- Frequent hand washing and/or hand sanitizing is of upmost importance in the spread of COVID. Therefore, WASD has ensured that we have enough inventory of soap.
- Wall mount hand sanitizer stations have been purchased for placement in every classroom.
- Teachers will be provided with sanitizing wipes/spray to sanitize specific items (e.g. desks, door handles, classroom sinks) as needed.
- WASD will be disinfecting daily, frequently touched surfaces such as doors and door handles, light switches, and hand railings with the Victory sprayer (an electrostatically charged sprayer) in conjunction with the chemical; BruTab 6S (Disinfectant tablet).
- Every evening schools will have a deeper disinfection of desktops, tables, and other surfaces tops with a chemical called SC Johnson TruShot Disinfectant. Additionally, two times weekly, student cubbies will be disinfected with the Victory Sprayer in conjunction with the BruTab 6S (Disinfectant Tablet).
- Classroom desks will be sanitized at the end of each day.
- All classrooms will be arranged to maximize the spacing between student desks.
- Many non-esential items will be removed from classrooms to increase space.
- Students will minimize interactions within 3-ft as much as possible.
- Teachers will maintain accurate seating charts of student seating assignments.
Library use, access and furniture:
- The use of the library will be allowed by a maximum of one class at a time.
- All physical distancing and guidelines are in effect during use.
- The library will be sanitized each evening.
- Students will sit near their classroom pod peers in the libary.
Computer lab use and cleaning:
- Students will use the hand sanitizer immediately upon entering and exiting the classroom and will use the sanitizing wipes on their workstation as a regularly scheduled task when directed by the teacher.
- Students will sit near their classroom pod peers in the Computer Lab.
Schools will determine how best to use the district purchased plexiglass barriers and can purchase their own barriers to support their plan.
- Physical distancing signage or markings that serve as reminders have been placed on the floors in the following areas:
- Main office lobby
- Library desk
- Nurses office
- Masks are required for students and staff unless an Opt Out form has been submitted.
- Students are encouraged to minimize interactions of less than 3-ft for no longer than 15 minutes in all areas of the school campus, particualrly indoors.
- Students will be walk directly to their before school playground upon arrival.
- When dismised students will walk directly to their pick-up location and be encouraged to distance appropriately.
Office/Check In-Out Areas:
- Tardy/late students will enter through the main office doors and check-in using the typical processes
- Students will wash/sanitize hands upon entering the building.
- Students will be prompted to wear masks when entering the building, unless they have a mask exemption.
- Accompanying parents/guardians will remain in the main office area and shall wear a mask.
- Student walkway/hallway transitions will ensure safe distancing between classes. Arrow signs will indicate the direction and line students are to follow when walking through hallways. Arrow signs will also be spaced to support appropriate distancing of students.
- Students will avoid congregating and/or stopping in walkways/hallways.
- Students will observe visual markers and signage that direct traffic flow in walkways/hallways.
- All students will hand wash after using the restroom.
- Students shall not congregate in restrooms and shall distance while waiting for stalls.
- Handwashing signage will be posted at student restrooms entry/exit.
- Students are expected to wear face masks unless a parent Mask Opt-Out form has been completed.
- Students will use hand sanitizer as they enter the classroom and as needed per teacher discretion.
- Students will use their own personal supplies and will keep them separate from other student supplies.
- Students are expected to take home personal items daily (backpacks, coats, lunch boxes, etc) so that cubbies and shelves can be sanitized.
- Students are expected to bring masks home daily and wash them.
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed at the start of the school year and reviewed as needed.
- All students will handwash/hand sanitize before entering the cafeteria.
- Doors in route to the cafeteria will be propped open to limit touching of surfaces.
- Students will practice no-touch rules while in lines.
- Grade levels will arrive/dismiss from the cafeteria based on the school-wide schedule.
- Students will practice safe, respectful, and polite eating habits.
- Students who need to use the restroom will first ask a cafeteria supervisor. Two students per restroom may be excused from the cafeteria at a time.
- Students will not share food.
- Students will exit the cafeteria after being excused.
- Students who need more time to eat, may move to a designated table with appropriate distancing.
- Lunch tables will be cleaned/sanitized between student groups.
- Students will follow building's indoor lunch recess schedule when unable to go outside for lunch recess.
- Students will follow traffic flow signage when entering and exiting the cafeteria.
- Students may eat breakfast in the cafeteria and must sit at designated areas with appropriate distancing.
- Students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering the classroom from the playground
- Students will play in their assigned areas using safe distancing practices.
- The playground will be separated into 3 areas (K/1, 2/3, 4/5) and recess schedules will be designed so that numbers of students in any area are limited.
Specials (PE/Health/Music/Library/Computer Lab/Additional Electives:
- Students will participate in typical specials classrooms (i.e, music room, gym, library)
- Universal precautions will be taught/reviewed prior to entering the specials classroom.
- All students will wash/sanitize hands prior to entering a specials classroom.
- Students who need to use the restroom will first ask the specials teacher. One student per restroom may be excused from the specialist’s classroom at a time.
Arrival and Dismissal:
- Parents and visitors must have administrator approval to enter the building.
- Volunteers will be permitted in the building on a limited basis and must have administrator approval.
- All guests and volunteeers entering the building must wear masks.
- Parents and visitors shall wear masks upon entering the building and will remain in the office area only as long as it take to check their child(ren) in or out of school.
- Parents having lunch at the school with their child will not be permitted during the 2021-2022 school year.
- Parents/guardians will not be allowed to wait with/for students on playground.
Guests and Volunteers:
- While inside the building, volunteers and guests are imited and must wear a mask.
- Staff are expected to wear masks in all areas of the school, unless a Mask Requirment Opt-out Form has been submitted.
- Staff are encouraged to wear masks when near others.
- Universal precautions will be reviewed with staff prior to the start of the school year.
- Staff will assist in the supervision of students during arrival/dismissal.
- Staff will reteach expectations for universal precautions as needed.
Office/Check in-Out Areas:
- Office staff will utilize signage, physical distancing, and floor signs.
- Staff will reteach universal precautions during student check-in processes as needed.
- Staff will observe visual markers and signage that directs traffic flow in walkways/hallways.
- Staff will avoid congregating and/or stopping in walkways/hallways.
- All staff will wash hands after using the restroom.
- Staff restrooms will be limited to 3 staff members at a time.
- Expectations and universal precaution signage will be posted at staff restrooms entry/exit
- Staff will handwash/sanitize hands before entering the classroom.
- Staff will teach and reteach expectations for universal precautions that are to be followed in the classroom as needed.
- Staff will remind students to wear masks and handwash/sanitize upon entering the classroom.
- Staff will teach and reteach procedures to keep student’s personal supplies separate during the school day.
- Staff will remind students to not share supplies and to keep personal supplies separate from classmate and/or classroom supplies.
- Staff may direct students to store backpacks on seatbacks to minimize contact with and traffic flow in cubby areas.
- Staff will handwash/sanitize before entering cafeteria and re-entering the classroom.
- Staff will eat lunch in sanitized, designated areas and will socially distance if eating in a shared location.
- Staff will separate lunches/food brought from home in clearly marked bags/containers.
- Staff will remind students to handwash/sanitize before entering the classroom from the playground.
Specials (PE/Health/Music/Library/Computer Lab/Additional Electives
- Staff will remind students to wash/sanitize before entering the classroom..
Other Consideration Strategies
- Students will practice universal precaution expectations during school gatherings/events.
- Parents/guardians including visitors are not allowed to enter the building, past the front office/meeting room areas, without administrator approval.
- Meeting attendees will practice universal precaution procedures in place and when prudent, meetings will be held in on on-line format.
- All meetings/gatherings/professional development will observe expectations for physical distancing and universal precautions.
- Staff will continue to attend required meetings (MDT,504, RTI, Staff, PD) with universal precaution procedures in place.
- Online replacements for live required meetings (MDT, 504, RTI, Staff, PD) will be utilized as much as possible and when available.
COVID Testing & Reporting:
- Utilizing existing processes for communicable diseases, positive COVID cases, knowledge of individual who has received a COVID test and is awaiting results, or knowledge of an exposure, will be reported to the Health Services department with consideration of the following:
- Confidentiality with ADA and HIPAA WILL be maintained
- Staff member contacts school nurse. School nurse will follow Health Services process for handling of communicable diseases
- Independent decisions to send out communication will not occur.
How to help:
- Continue to monitor your child’s physical condition.
- If your child is sick, please keep them home.
- Similar to the school environment, it is imperative that the home is kept as clean as possible and proper hygiene protocols are followed.