Hello and Welcome to the NHS Site.
While this site will have overview information and important dates for parents/guardians, our important documents and communication will be in our Teams page.
All members of NHS will be add to the Team page (please email me if you are in NHS but not on the Teams site). That is where we will turn in service logs, ask questions, and keep track of our meeting notes.
Students will also be added to the NHS official roster where they will have access to resources, materials, and gear at: NHS.
Meet our Chapter Officers for 2021-2022
- (Senior) Co-President- Benjamin Jones
- (Junior) Co-President- Elke Virden
- Vice President- Malorie McIntosh
- Secretary- Paige Bryant
- PR/Social Media Rep- Carly Nielsen
- Service Project Coordinator- Hannah Millington
What is the National Honor Society?
As a new chapter, we are excited to bring the values of NHS to our new community here at Owyhee High School. The official description of NHS from the website is below:
"The National Honor Society (NHS) elevates a school’s commitment to the values of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. These four pillars have been associated with membership in the organization since its inception in 1921.
Today, it is estimated that more than one million students participate in NHS activities. NHS chapters are found in all 50 states, US Territories, Canada, and around the world. Chapter membership not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service.
As such, NHS chapters and students are in schools that care not only about student achievement, but also community engagement.
NHS students and their peers volunteer in their communities at the highest rates and make connecting with and serving within the community a priority."
Being a National Honor Society student is much more than just being a part of a club. Here's what the national website has to say:
"An NHS chapter brings with it exclusive tools and resources for your students that not only help them in their endeavors as NHS members, but leave a lasting impact on them as active citizens with long-term goals. With NHS, you unlock:
- Service Mindset and Action. NHS advisers and verified member students get unlimited access to service planning templates and resources, including nearly 10,000 project ideas in the National Student Project Database. This creates a “give back” mindset and weaves continued service into the everyday of a learning community.
- College and Career Readiness Webinar Series. Live webinars on the college admission planning process give student members and their parents access to valuable advice directly from admissions experts.
- #Futuready Leadership Development. These online modules help NHS students prepare for the future, providing support to build skills such as empathy, critical thinking, and leadership.
- NHS Scholarship. Each year, $2 million dollars are awarded to 600 deserving student members, with the national winner taking home $25,000 to help them achieve their higher education dreams.
- Badges of Honor. NHS students can receive a digital badge that will boost their college applications, LinkedIn profiles, and more."
I look forward to walking alongside your students and fostering these NHS values in them. Values they can take with them anywhere in life. As a new chapter, we have a lot of work to do in order to get our chapter, roles, and community service projects established, but I am excited for the journey.
Please reach out with any questions or concerns you may have at: firstname.lastname@example.org