If your student will be out for the entire day, please call the attendance line:
If your student needs to leave early, please call the main line:
On the days that your student is sick: Call our attendance line, which is 24/7. Leave a message with the following information:
- Student’s name and grade
- Date the student is sick
- Reason for not attending school (ex: fever, medical apt, strep throat)
- Parent name and phone #
Students are allowed six (6) absences per class period during the semester. Students who receive seven (7) absences in any class will be at risk to lose credit, unless cleared by the attendance office as extraordinary within five (5) days of the absences. The only way to waive an absence is with a medical note. All other absences even with a parent call will be counted as part of the 6 absences per semester.
All students must check in and out through the front office when coming late or leaving early. If the student is at a medical appointment, ask for a school note before leaving the appointment and bring it when you check in at school. The student MUST check in at the office before going to class. We ask parents to sign their student into school when tardy. A parent call does NOT waive a tardy. Students receiving 3 or more unexcused tardies will receive a lunch detention.
Early Release Information
Parents may call ahead to have your child in the office waiting at a specific time. Please call at least 30 minutes ahead of time. Parents must come in to the office to sign out their students. If you call ahead, this will allow us to send a message slip to the classroom with plenty of time to pack up his/her supplies, stop at their locker and head to the office with enough time to meet you there. Medical appointments will be waived (WAI) with a note from the medical office. Students must bring the note to the school office in order to waive the time out of school.
- A student cannot just tell their teachers they are leaving for the day: Students must have a dismissal slip from the office, in order to be excused from class.
- When Returning to School on the same day: Please remember to have your student check-in with the office. If necessary: Bring any medical notes in order to get your student’s absence waived.
- Person picking up student during school: If someone other than a parent is picking up your student, please let us know ahead of time.
Middle school students must be in attendance at school the entire school day in order to participate in extracurricular activities after school in in the evening of that same day. Exceptions include situations beyond the control of the student such as court appearance, bereavement, medical/dental appointments, etc. Students, who are suspended, including in-school suspension for a major discipline offence, are not allowed to practice or participate in school activities that day.
If a family trip is planned during the school year, a few steps are needed to ensure that all teachers and staff are aware of the student’s location:
- Contact the attendance office (208) 350-4255 to begin the Pre-Arranged Absence process at least two weeks prior to the trip.
- Provide the student’s name, grade and dates of absence.
- A Pre-arranged form will be generated for the student to take to each teacher. The teacher will write assignments on this form or direct you to their website.
- The form will go home with the student for the parent’s signature.
- The student will return the form to the attendance secretary; copies will be made for the student’s file and one for the student.
The days out of school will count against the allowed six (6) absences per semester. The West Ada School District maintains that academic success is directly attributed to maintaining regular attendance throughout the school year.
Extraordinary Absences There may be instances when a trip or event has evidence of the educational experience. In order to receive Extraordinary coding, the following step must take place:
- Call the attendance office prior to trip with dates, type of trip and request for extraordinary absence.
- Submit a letter of request to an assistant principal at least two (2) weeks prior to the trip.
- Student must have passing grades in all classes
- Not exceed six (6) absences in a traditional schedule or four (4) absences in a block schedule prior to the request
- Student does not have any truancies or school suspensions
- Work requested from classes will be completed prior to the first day back to class
- Submit a one page project paper for each class with information that substantiates the educational purpose of the trip as it relates to each specific class missed. The papers are due to the assistant principal upon return to school.