If your student will be out for the entire day, please call the attendance line:
If your student will be coming in late or needing to leave early, please call the main line:
On the days that your student is sick: Call our attendance line, which is 24/7. Leave a message with the following information:
- Student’s name and grade
- Date the student is sick
- Reason for not attending school (ex: fever, medical apt, strep throat)
- Parent name and phone #
Students are allowed six (6) absences per class period during the semester. Students who receive seven (7) absences in any class will be at risk to lose credit. Verbal communication must come from a parent/guardian within 48 hours of the absence to prevent the absence from being coded “truancy”. The only way to excuse or waive an absence is with a medical note. All other absences even with a parent call will be counted as part of the 6 absences per semester.
Parent/guardian should call the main office indicating that the student will be arriving late. Include grade, reason for the late arrival and expected time of arrival. If the student is at a medical appointment, ask for a school note before leaving the appointment. The student will check in at the office before going to class. Students receiving 3 or more tardies will receive lunch detention.
Early Release Information
When a student has an appointment during school hours requiring an early release, parents must come to the office to check out their students. Medical appointments will be waived (WAI) with a note from the medical office. Students must bring the note to the school office in order to waive the time out of school.
- A student cannot just tell their teachers they are leaving for the day: They must be checked out on the office computer. Students must have a dismissal slip from the office, in order to be excused from class.
- Calling ahead to dismiss your student is NOT allowed. Our new Raptor Technology security system does not allow students to be dismissed until a parent presents their valid, government-issued ID in the front office.
- Please allow a few extra minutes for your student to be ready for you: Please keep in mind that the teacher will not release your student until a call slip sends for your student. We recommend adding 5 minutes prior to the time you want your student in the office. This will allow your student some time to pack up his/her supplies, stop at locker (if they need to), and head to the office after you arrive and have verified your ID.
- We have two different lunch times: It may take some time to track down your student, if they are going to leave during their lunch time. We encourage you to let your student know that they may be leaving during their lunch time. You may be required to check in as a visitor to go to the cafeteria to locate your student.
- When Returning to School on the same day: Please remember to have your student check-in with the office. If necessary: Bring any medical notes in order to get your student’s absence waived, and place the note in the drop off basket in front of the attendance desk. Your student will continue to be marked absent, until they are checked in on our system.
- Person picking up student during school: If someone other than a parent is picking up your student, please let us know ahead of time. We can only release students to those listed on the PowerSchool - Household Contact (Emergency contacts are only allowed to pick up students in case of an emergency, not for a regular pick up). Please review your PowerSchool to make sure that your contacts are up to date.
Middle school students must be in attendance at school the entire school day in order to participate in extracurricular activities after school in in the evening of that same day. Exceptions include situations beyond the control of the student such as court appearance, bereavement, medical/dental appointments, etc. Students, who are suspended, including in-school suspension for a major discipline offence, are not allowed to practice or participate in school activities that day.
If a family trip is planned during the school year, a few steps are needed to ensure that all teachers and staff are aware of the student’s location:
- Contact the attendance office (208) 350-4071 to request a Pre-arranged absence form.
- Provide the student’s name, grade and dates of absence.
- A Pre-arranged form will be generated for the student to take to each teacher. The teacher will write assignments on this form or direct you to their website.
- The form will go home with the student for the parent’s signature. 5. The student will return the form to the attendance secretary; copies will be made for the student’s file and one for the student.
The days out of school will count against the allowed six (6) absences per semester. The West Ada School District maintains that academic success is directly attributed to maintaining regular attendance throughout the school year.