About Teacher App
Degrees and Certifications:
K-8 Idaho Teaching Certificate General Math Endorsement American Government Endorsement
Welcome to 6th Grade Math in Room 401!
I am so excited to be able to work with such a fabulous group of teachers, staff, and students! This is my fourth year of teaching at MMS.
I am married and have 3 children. Our son is working as a tax accountant and our 2 daughters are in 8th and 10th grade. We also have 2 dogs, 2 cat, and a bunny. As a family (not the cats or the bunny...), we enjoy outdoors activities, including hiking, biking, and watersports.
My philosophy on math in our classroom:
1. Everyone Can Learn Math to the Highest Levels. There is no such thing as a “math” person. Everyone can reach the highest levels they want to, with hard work.
2. Mistakes are valuable. Mistakes grow your brain! It is good to struggle and make mistakes.
3. Questions are Really Important! Always ask questions, always answer questions. Ask yourself: why does that make sense?
4. Math is about Creativity and Making Sense. Math is a very creative subject that is, at its core, about visualizing patterns and creating solution paths that others can see, discuss and critique.
5. Math is about Connections and Communicating. Math is a connected subject, and a form of communication. Represent math in different forms eg words, a picture, a graph, an equation, and link them. Color code!
6. Depth is much more important than speed. Top mathematicians, such as Laurent Schwartz, think slowly and deeply.
7. Math Class is about Learning not Performing. Math is a growth subject, it takes time to learn and it is all about effort.
Please feel free check out all portions of my webpage. If you miss a day, please look under the weekly schedule and review/preview for our activities.
Please make sure you are helping your student be as successful as they can be by checking email, this website, and PowerSchool on a weekly basis.
Here is a copy of our class policies and procedures. They will be periodically updated.
Become a registered user and subscribe to E-Alerts.