Common Grading Policy
Grading Philosophy: It is the philosophy of the West Ada School District to assess and report student achievement in a manner that clearly measures what students know, do and understand based on a clearly identified set of learning intentions and student success criteria definitively aligned to State standards. The goal is to improve student learning by reporting grades that are accurate, consistent, meaningful, and supportive of learning, and the shift to standards-referenced learning is an effort to reach that goal.
As a general grading practice at Victory Middle School, student assessments of learning will make up at least 80% of a student’s final grade. Daily work and homework (practice) will constitute no more than 20% of the total grade in the course.
Assignments are expected to be completed and turned in on time because . . .
- The completion of all assignments is a critical component of student learning.
- The completion quality of all assignments is a critical component of student learning.
- Students who complete assignments are prepared to maximize their learning.
With this premise in mind, as well as our mission of “Partners in Learning, Preparing for the Future”; the staff at VMS has agreed to adhere to these guidelines in regard to daily work, homework and practice-based assignments, and student assessments.
Due Date: The date that the assignment was due to the teacher. Any assignment not turned in on the due date or not of good quality will be marked as missing and a corresponding grade entered until completed by the student.
Deadline: The last date the assignment will be accepted for credit. Assignments turned in prior to or at the deadline will receive the grade earned without penalty. These dates will be clearly defined by the teacher. Any assignment turned in after the deadline will receive no credit and will be marked with an NHI (never handed in) indicator. Deadlines are:
Quarter 1 Deadlines
Quarter 2 Deadlines
Quarter 3 Deadlines
Quarter 4 Deadlines
Friday, September 3rd
Friday, October 29th
Friday, January 28th
Friday, April 8th
Friday, September 17th
Friday, November 19th
Friday, February 11th
Friday, April 22nd
Friday, October 1st
Friday, December 17th
Friday, February 25th
Friday, May 6th
Friday, October 15th
Friday, January 7th
Friday, March 11th
Friday, May 27th
Last day of Quarter 1
Last day of Quarter 2
Last day of Quarter 3
Last day of Quarter 4
Wednesday, October 20th
Friday, January 14th
Thursday, March 17th
Friday, June 3rd
Due dates and Deadlines will be clearly defined by the teacher.Assignments:
- Assignments may be re-done before the Deadline. Assignments earning a low score may be re-done before the deadline and must be of good quality and effort for full credit.
- Late work will be accepted for full credit after the Due Date. Students will receive the score they earn when turned in after the Due Date.
- Late work will not be accepted after the Deadline.
- There are times when there will be exceptions to this general policy regarding late work. These exceptions will typically occur because of the nature of the assignment, project, lab requires them to be done within a timeframe that is shorter than the quarter deadline. These exceptions will be clearly communicated by the teacher when they occur.
- Students who score below 90% will be allowed to re-take the assessment.
- Students who score 90% or higher, cannot re-take assessments, as 90% would be considered evidence that the student has demonstrated a proficient mastery of the assessed content.
- Students can re-take the assessment one time only.
- The student will receive the higher of the two grades up to 90% after the re-take is completed.
- Students who are requesting a re-take of an assessment will be required to complete any missing practice work before the opportunity to re-take the assessment.
- If the student wants to set up a re-take of the assessment, they must arrange a time with the teacher to do so.
- Students have one full week from the date the assessment is returned to the student, to arrange and complete the re-assessment.
- All re-takes must be completed by the Late Work Deadlines listed above.
- End of Course/Final Exams cannot be re-taken as they occur the last two days of the term.
**Students who are absent will be given 2 days per absence before any point reductions occur.
***Students with accommodations for extended time will be given the agreed-upon amount of time before point reductions occur.