Meridian FFA Competes Nationally, Brings Home Scholarships and Awards
November 8, 2017 – The Meridian Future Farmers of America, representing all West Ada School District high schools, recently participated in the National FFA Convention and Expo in Indianapolis, Indiana. Students received chapter and individual awards, including scholarship funds they may use for post-secondary education.
“FFA is a dynamic youth development organization within agricultural education preparing students for premier leadership, personal growth and career success,” Rocky Mountain High School agriculture teacher and FFA advisor Kelsey Bly boasted. “Any high school student enrolled in an agriculture class can be a member of FFA. Meridian FFA also has an alumni chapter for adult members who would like to support the youth chapter. We hold chapter meetings on a monthly basis, but have other events besides chapter meetings.”
Meridian FFA earned a National Chapter Award at the convention, which recognizes the group for actively implementing the mission and strategies set forth by the greater organization. The award description shared groups earning this honor are growing leaders, building communities and strengthening agriculture.
Students Ashton Shaul and Joseph Wieting received the National Chapter Award for the group, ranked one of seven in the state of Idaho out of 98 chapters participating. Students excelled in multiple career development events as well.
National FFA Convention and Expo Award Winners and Participants:
- Mallie Miller earned 2nd place in nation and a $900 scholarship
Food Science & Technology
- Carly Connery earned 9th place team in the nation of 43 states participating
- Isaac Livesay participated in the competition
- Rachel Mansfield earned 8th place high individual and a $600 scholarship
- Courtney Marshall participated in the competition
- Ashley Schiers earned 8th place team in the nation out of 45 states participating
- Courtney Chambers earned 9th place high individual and a $500 scholarship
- Alexa Phillips participated in the competition
- Kiara Wetzel participated in the competition