- This program opens with a discussion of Louis XVI’s inexperience as leader.
How do you think Louis XVI’s qualities as a leader led to the French Revolution?
- What were some of the causes of the French Revolution discussed in this program?
- What was the “Enlightenment”? Who were some of its major thinkers and writers?
- Why did the French people have such negative feelings toward Marie Antoinette?
- What was the “Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen”? How does it relate to the U.S. Constitution?
- What was the Third Estate? Which groups in French society did it include?
- At first, it seemed that King Louis XVI would cooperate with some of the demands of the Third Estate.
Why do you think he ultimately reacted so violently against them?
- What kind of leader was Robespierre? Do you think he did a good job of representing the wishes of
the French people?
10.What was the role of women in the French Revolution? Can you think of some examples of their contribution to the Revolution from this program?
11.Why do you think the initial goals of the Revolution became so distorted during the “Reign of Terror”?
Why do you think Robespierre had so much fear of political traitors?